Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Air Impact Gun -Recommendations

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

WTB: Air Impact Gun -Recommendations

My crapman impact took a dump awhile back and I want a good replacement that will last a long time. If anyone has a suggestion of one that is a good value, lasts a long time, or one to stay away from please let me know. Thanks!
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    I found a NIB snap on one on Craigslist for less than half of what the truck sells them for. You'd be surprised what you can find on there. Ingersol rand is also good. That's what I had for years when I worked at Lexus. Lasted about 4 yrs of non stop abuse everyday.
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 05-05-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Back in the day any good mechanic would only have a CP (Chicago Pneumatic) 1/2" impact. I broke a VW gland nut with mine at 150 psi and they are supposed to be torqued at 253 ft. Lbs. It is still in my toolbox and I bought it in 1975. It is getting long in the tooth and I bought a new one ten years ago at Sears. I have no idea if CP is still a good brand. The Snap-on's are good but way overpriced.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I broke a VW gland nut with mine at 150 psi
    I hope you saw a doctor... I have a late 80s/early 90s Craftsman that seems a little weak, always has
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    For cheap but good, Campbell Hausfeld 1/2". Walmart for $40. Had one for 10+ years with great results. Make sure you run a 3/8" or larger air hose at 90 psi. The 1/4" self coiling plastic hoses will not feed enough air to run the gun.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Campbell-H...rench/21106287

For Expensive and Awesome, Ingersol Rand Thunder Gun. $240
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...oLFRoCp3Lw_wcB
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    We have a CP gun at the shop that has been working for as long as I can remember tools in the garage (age of 7, 30 years ago)... Still works great at 120psi and will snug down to over 100 ft/lb.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    I have a Chicago Pneumatic 1/2" that I bought about 18 years ago. Occasional use only and it still works great. My now favorite tool is a Bosch 3/8" electric battery impact, very handy.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Blog Entries
    Great info. guys-thanks. Looks like Chicago unless I find a deal on craigslist. I would love the Thunder one but wife and neighbors might call the cops on me. Want something that has enough power for the harmonic balancer pulley R&R.

Yeah- the 3/8" electrics are the most handy to use.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Ingersol, matco or snap on are the only three guns that will swipe off a harmonic balancer pulley and even with those you need a good compressor. At least from my experience working on various makes and models that's what I've found. $240 is not a lot for a quality impact made with good parts. I've used Chicago and various other "cheaper" brands and they are great for wheels and minor stuff but if you want to use it for major bolts that are torqued tightly they wouldn't stand a chance. Most good guns come with a cotton "muffler" you stuff in the exhaust port to quiet it down so it won't piss off neighbors or make you deaf.

Dewalt makes a really good battery 3/8" impact that can pretty much take off any normal maintenance bolt or wheels. But your still looking at $200ish
    Last edited by Suck fumes; 05-07-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

ingersol has a line of 24V cordless impacts that are advertised to have as much power as their pneumatic guns. They are pricey but will knock your socks off!
    Ah, fugg it.