Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine building help needed.

Engine building help needed.

Anybody willing to share a secret to getting intake manifold gaskets to seal? I have a recurring problem on my old Mustang. I am pretty sure the gasket is failing on one of the back two ports on the left side. I keep oil fouling the back two plugs, sucking oil from the case I am pretty sure. The last time it happened, when I pulled the carb there was an oil trail in both of the problem cylinder intake runners. I tried silicone around the ports on a FelPro gasket but it failed again I think. The motor is a 408W with RHS 225 cfm heads and there is not much meat on the head gasket mating surface around the ports. The engine is all new except for the block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Ultra grey RTV
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Dennis,
    I use Ultra Black RTV on the coolant passage ports and also a dollup between 2/3 and 6/7 to hold the gasket in place. I also ditch the cork gaskets on the front/rear and just lay a really thick bead of RTV down.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar
    When you say new, you mean new heads that haven't been milled? Was the block decked? In some cases if that has been done, the intake would also need to be milled down too.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Thanks Marshall,
    I have only had this problem once before when I used an aluminum intake off of a blown motor that had overheated and warped the intake. I have always ditched the cork seals in favor of silicone and mostly just used copper coat on both sides of the gasket on the ports and passages. I think I am going to pull the intake and look real closely at the gasket on the 3/4 ports. I suspect the intake is not clamping the gasket enough on the bottom of the ports, if the gasket has failed again I may replace the intake. The gasket is real skinny on the bottom third of the port.

Block was decked and bored .030 over, everything else is brand new. The heads are new I assembled them with new valves and seals so I don't think it is a valve seal. I hadn't considered the intake needing to be milled, how would I measure this?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    What gaskets are you using, 1262?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    Anybody willing to share a secret to getting intake manifold gaskets to seal? I have a recurring problem on my old Mustang. I am pretty sure the gasket is failing on one of the back two ports on the left side. I keep oil fouling the back two plugs, sucking oil from the case I am pretty sure. The last time it happened, when I pulled the carb there was an oil trail in both of the problem cylinder intake runners. I tried silicone around the ports on a FelPro gasket but it failed again I think. The motor is a 408W with RHS 225 cfm heads and there is not much meat on the head gasket mating surface around the ports. The engine is all new except for the block.
    Do you need a whole Lotta Chevy Orange on that motor!!!! :-)

Blog Entries
    It is standard SOP in SBC/LT1 land to have the intake milled down to better fit a long block with heads that have also been milled (or the block deck milled).

I know my first two builds suffered from poor intake sealing and extreme difficulty in getting bolt holes to line up. Now that I've had my intake milled on the last two builds, bolt holes line up perfectly and intake gaskets seal/crush well.

I have a couple of "virgin" LT1 intakes sitting in my garage; compared to the milled one on my current motor the flanges are waaay thicker.
    Last edited by Pranav; 05-07-2015 at 08:30 AM.

What is your intake torque procedure, what torque are you using. I have also had luck with ultra gray on the ends vs cork or rubber. I also spread rtv around the water ports.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net