Thread: Advice: RV

Advice: RV

We are looking at getting a trailer or motorhome (my wife has ruled out a 5th wheel) for occasional use and could use youse guys advice.
    I've rented many so I have a basic understanding. Also, anyone selling/renting let me know

So many questions but to start:
    1) Motorhome vs trailer
    2) New vs used
    3) Any issues with slideouts that novices don't understand

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    G
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFirePony View Post
    We are looking at getting a trailer or motorhome (my wife has ruled out a 5th wheel) for occasional use and could use youse guys advice.
    I've rented many so I have a basic understanding. Also, anyone selling/renting let me know

So many questions but to start:
    1) Motorhome vs trailer
    2) New vs used
    3) Any issues with slideouts that novices don't understand
    Call me sometime. I have owned a few starting in 1980.

JJ

Definitely used. There's a huge drop in cost of used RVs and trailers.

This isnt for racing, just camping and such right?
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Rent.

-(end of thread)-
    Ah, fugg it.

Thanks Jerry I'll give you a call next week sometime - you definitely have a wealth of experience.
    Al, actually Anna and I were just now discussing possible use for race weekends when I find the time to commit to at least a partial season. Realistically it would be mid-2016 at the earliest, though I do plan to be at Hallet to do some testing with our info-management system and a few other events around the country as well.
    That would lean us towards a motorhome. If we got a motorhome that she was comfortable with it would go a LONG way to seeing her come to the track and make my return to racing sooner than later
    That implies I have something to race though.
    Too that point, Kyri has been banking good $ this year (geez, I can't tell you how happy I am for him) and too busy to even think about racing so 2016 *might* see the return of the #404 to Texas for a partial season with me behind the wheel (feeling the paddock shudder at the thought).
    With so many IFs, Matt's recommendation to rent may well be the best bet near term...though I need to check the fridge before I rent next time :/
    Still, keep the advice flowing. Even if we rent near term this summer, we do plan to do some fishing/kayaking trips several times next year and I DO plan to return to racing. In addition to getting the #404 on track (somewhere) I am working on a sponsorship deal for another car in 2017

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    If it's just mainly for racing, Matt is right, rent. If you will actually use it for 30-40 additional days out of the year for other trips maybe consider buying a used one. They somehow depreciate and fall apart even just sitting in the storage lot.

Not sure how my parents got theirs to last, but it lasted 17 years and over 200k miles before it finally just gave up. I got $250 scrap value for it.
    Dave Balingit
    NASA RM Regional Dir

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    We have a 26ft. bumper pull. I bought it from parents cheap about 10 years ago. We only use it 3-4 times a year.

If you don't plan on using one a whole lot... definitely find a nice used camper. They can be found really cheap for ones over 5 years old.

I prefer a bumper pull so that it doesn't have to have the big 5th wheel setup in the bed of the truck.

Slide outs can and will fail...although they have gotten better over the years. Keep the screw mechanism lubricated.

If you have a good truck then a camper is a cheap way to go, but if you don't then a motorhome might be a better way to go. Both are built basically the same way so the difference would be pricing and ease of use.