Thread: Painting an old Enclosed trailer?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Painting an old Enclosed trailer?

My 1997 Featherlite is looking a bit long in the tooth. I redid the entire interior and build some storage in the front of it and the inside is a Gem, however, the outside looks like an 18 year old trailer that has sat outside in the Texas sun. I tried washing/waxing a portion of it a couple years ago but the paint basically started coming off down to the bare aluminum.

Has anyone ever painted one or is it likely easier to just re-skin it? Is it possible to re-skin one yourself? Trailer has TONS of life left in it but the appearance is beginning to bug me a bit every time I see it sitting next to Misty's new 28'.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Trailer has TONS of life left in it but the appearance is beginning to bug me a bit every time I see it sitting next to Misty's new 28'.
    If it doesn't leak - leave it alone. Who wants to steal an ugly trailer?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    It would be cheaper to sell it and buy a new trailer!
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Blog Entries
    You should keep it for two more years then sell it to me. I want a featherlite type enclosed to tow with my Tundra after i get my own shop space and house set up...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    What about a vinyl wrap?

I found some info on a couple of other racing forums and it turns out you can buy the sheets for about $50-75 per panel and can likely do it myself. I swing through Waco next week and plan on stopping by the trailer builders and asking about pricing on the sheets. Sounds like about a grand in total. Wraps are REALLY expensive and they won't even talk to you if you have exposed screws like I do. Apparently you can install the new panels with a 3M tape for the screwless look. I am a cheap bastard and might just scratch it, hit it with self etching primer and single stage it....but probably looking at $500-600 in paint.

Pranav, the trailer is a Featherlite STL. It's a steel frame and walls with aluminum floor, and VERY well built. It's actually significantly lighter than Misty's all aluminum 28' with a lot of upgrades. I have towed it with my old Escalade ESV and Misty's former 2010 Ram 1500. As long as you aren't towing up through the mountains or cross country, your Tundra can tow a 24' with ease. Just shop smart and get 4800# axles or larger and don't pile a ton of crap in it. When you start looking for a good enclosed, let me know. I could be persuaded to sell it as I have been thinking about something that can tow haul both cars again.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    My screwless hauler uses 3M windshield glue to hold the panels on if that makes it easier.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    Talk to Sean. He cleaned up Al's old trailer, and it looks great. Not sure if he repainted or not.
    Or talk yo the dude that stole my old trailer. Believe he used black latex put on with rollers. Most likely not the finish you were looking got.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Blog Entries
    Thanks Matt, just invested in a fancy tire track for my open trailer. Hope to get at least a couple more years of use out of it before trading up. Need stuff to stabilize first (car, house, proper shop/storage, etc).