Thread: Fun Facts... The cost of computing...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

Fun Facts... The cost of computing...

I ran across an interesting packet at my grandparents house a few weeks back. My grandfather worked for Sun Oil Co. for 30+ years and when he retired in 1984, there was a dedication of the “Sun Technology Center” in Richardson, TX.
    This $36 million facility is the latest example of Sun Company’s commitment to leadership in the worldwide energy business. Our new Technology Center provides an environmentally attractive and intellectually stimulating performance area for more than 200 engineers and scientists engaged in the engineering, geological, geophysical and computer science programs being conducted by Sun’s Dallas-based exploration and production subsidiary”.
    Here is what was said about the computer system. State of the art for the time, but nothing compared to what our cell phones provide today. I’ve put some 1984 numbers next to current day to show how far we have come in a short 30 years…

From the “Building D, Computer Center” flyer…
    Sun spends $6.4 million annually for scientific data processing. Three large computers, or “main frames,” are used by Sun for complex exploration and production processing. The most powerful of these is the Cray Research X-MP Model 14, used primarily for simulation of oil reservoirs and seismic exploration. The Cray X-MP’s speed is measured in millions of floating point operations per second (MFLOPS). A floating point operation is a cycle that consists of reading data from the computer’s memory, performing a calculation on the data (adding, multiplying, etc.), and saving the data again. The Cray X-MP can do this cycle 105 million times every second! Even with this tremendous speed, the computer may still take up to 30 hours to complete a simulation job – illustrating the complexity of the processing performed by Sun engineers.
    Additionally, data must be read, stored and otherwised manipulated. To accomplisih this, the computer center uses tapes, disks, printers and plotters. Sun has 20,000 reels of tape stored onsite and disk storage capacity of 150 billion bits of information.
    Computer System

Cray X-MP Model 14
    105 MHz
    $42,780,000 per GFLOPS
    $14,500,000/system

Storage
    150GB
    20,000 reels of tape
    approx. cost $8,850,000,000

Computer System

Celeron G1830 R9 295x2
    11.5 TFLOPS
    $0.08 per GFLOPS
    $902/system
    http://www.freezepage.com/1420850340WGSMHXRBLE

Storage
    150GB hard drive
    $15.99 (Amazon)
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SpinPo...0gb+hard+drive
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 05-26-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    It is pretty amazing how things change so quickly in the IT world.

My first new PC cost me like $2100 for a 486 @ 20-mhz with 2 megs of ram and 120meg hard drive. I then added 2 more megs of ram for $400/meg. I then added a sound card for $400 and a smoking fast modem at 14,400 baud for $250. This was around 1992.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law

The question, when/whether or not it will stop.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Interesting factoid, my first employer out of college was SUNGARD Global Services:

SunGard is an American multinational company based in Wayne, Pennsylvania, which provides software and services to education, financial services, and public sector organizations. It was formed in 1983, as a spin-off of the computer services division of Sun Oil Company. The name of the company originally was an acronym which stood for Sun Guaranteed Access to Recovered Data, a reference to the disaster recovery business it helped pioneer.

Senior Member Rookie
    Speaking of Crays, the company I work for took a giant step forward in compute power this year.

http://www.cray.com/features/petroleum-geo-services