Thread: transmission jack

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

transmission jack

Does anyone in the Austin area have a transmission jack I can borrow? I can lift the T5 laying on my back but it sucks getting it from the ground on to my chest and since I have a lift I have the room to use a jack. My floor jack does not go high enough and the transmission adaptors they sell to use with a floor jack will not work because the hole on the Craftsman jack is too small. I can always rent one if I have to.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    I've got one you're welcome to borrow. Check your PMs for my contact info...
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Bring it to Hallett. Someone's bound to blow a clutch there too.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I want to thank Casey and Chuck. Casey offered the use of his jack and Chuck offered to come over and help me install the transmission without one. I got home yesterday with the rebuilt unit and decided to try and just lift it in. I tried it before without a lift and the car on standard jack stands and I could not do it. This time with the lift and the car higher I was able to put the transmission on my chest and roll under the car. Lifted it up and slipped it in. One great thing about the T5 is it's only 75 lbs.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I've done lots of transmissions without a trans jack. What I do is jack the front up, then lift the rear and stick some boards under the center. Jack more, lift/insert boards. Repeat until you get the trans high enough, once it's rocking on the boards there's little threat of it falling off and the floor jack is still used to pitch the trans to match the engine.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    In the garage with the car on jack stands (highest "safe" setting), I would lay under the car, perpendicular to the driveshaft direction with the transmission towards the axle. I would then drag it up and onto my chest from the input shaft until I can get my second hand on the tailhousing. Then it's a bench press and light stab to get past the throwout bearing. Once it's in the T/O bearing, I move my forward hand under the main case and wiggle/shake/up/down/forward until it seats...

On a lift goes a LOT faster and less energy expended...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I get more exercise bench pressing my t56 than I do at the gym.

High weight, low reps.