Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th gen body work?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

4th gen body work?

Anyone have their front core support and inner fenders replaced? What about quarter/rockers?

My passenger front upper section of the rad support, and front half of the inner fender is all messed up from my punt in January. My off in Hallet looks to have dinged up my passenger inner fender slightly.

I picked up a 4th gen front clip from a junkyard a while back. Looking at everything, 100% of these parts are held on with spot welds. I'm thinking i'd just practice by using my spot weld bits on the junkyard piece to pull it apart for practice, then replace the inner (outer) fenders and core support. Just curious if anyone on here has tackled this on 4th gens themselves, or at least have good knowledge of what has been done for them.

For the quarter/rockers, I also have entire rocker/quarter combos that I took off a 4th gen (thanks Gary). Again I will practice/prep on these by drilling out the spotwelds around the perimeters, but may pony up to pay someone local to do the actual job on the car.

For those that have had their quarters replaced entirely, what was done about the section that tucks in under the roof skin? The only thing I could find online was one guy hacking away from the inside to reach those spotwelds:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body...maro-pics.html

I'm thinking leaving that chunk of QP attached to the car and sectioning out/in that piece to the replacement could be easier...

for that much work....buy a new tub.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    I have thought of it. I would be buried alive in my parents' backyard if I try to build another tub in their garage.

The core support and inner fender skin (not the inner frame/structure) isn't that bad. The quarter/rocker from what I could tell is a matter of drilling/welding a ton of spot welds, the mystery part is what to do about the roof connected section.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I have thought of it. I would be buried alive in my parents' backyard if I try to build another tub in their garage.
    Let us know when the tear down party is-seeing them bury you alive sounds like it would get plenty of people to come help to see that part. You should just buy a spare race car-I know of a good LT1 car in texas for sale but not advertised.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Once you factor in the cost of a cage, I fail the see the fiscal advantage over fixing what he's got.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure who you guys are overpaying for body labor, but as it sits I can have it all done for less than $1500. Paint doesn't count as the car has been overdue for its first paint job since 2012.

I at least think I'll do the front end myself and maybe sub out the QP/rocker work for a $1k job. The interesting thing about the QP/rockers on our cars is it is all easy spot welds except for the pain in the ass part under the roof.

Will see how comfortable I am once I get my hands on a welder and deconstruct the spare parts, really curious if anyone on here has been through it.

Getting a new tub and caging it is $3k+ easy and I will get killed on nickle/dime stuff that goes with building a car all over again.

I need seat time, not wasting time building a car again.
    Last edited by Pranav; 06-20-2015 at 05:35 AM.

Buy v6 roller $500. Gut it. Cut roof off. Cut out old cage at 6 points from old floorpan. prep the plates. Place in new car. Weld 6 plates to floor pan. Weld roof back on. Paint new race car. Swap over all your old driveline. Take old chassis and un-used spare parts to dump for beer money.

As much damage as you have done to "Pranav Chassis #001", you should seriously consider a new tub especially if you are finally going to start chasing setups and expect the chassis to be solid and reliable.

Of course, this IS coming from someone who does all his own work....

Other option is cut your losses, part out the existing car and buy a nice set of golf clubs and drive golf carts. They are a more proper pavement/off pavement vehicle!
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    I guess where we are not seeing eye to eye is the chassis part. All of my "damage" is cosmetic. The affected radiator support and inner fender is up high and far away from the frame rails and shock towers. The car has and will continue to hold a solid alignment, and I just got done reinforcing the trans/floor panel area before Hallett, no more cracking.

Cutting the roof on these cars involved destroying the roof skin on the process; can't replace those...

Make it a convertible for future chassis swaps
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    And a bolt in cage, you can get the process down to a weekend after a few more tubs.