Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a 5.3 motor (truck motor)

Senior Member Grass-Passer

Need a 5.3 motor (truck motor)

I am looking for just a short block but open to anything as long as it is a 5.3.:cry:

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Round about 05 Chebby made a TX only truck that was based on the 4wd frame and included stub axles to keep tension on the 4wd style wheel bearings. It even had the illustrious torsion bars. It also received the L33 5.0 HO with aluminum block with 4.8L flat topped pistons. If ever there was a 5.3, this was it. Unfortunately, most boneyards seem to realize this. But if you come across one that doesn't, this would be THE 5.3.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    I am looking for just a short block but open to anything as long as it is a 5.3.:cry:
    What happened? Your car did not like the thin Colorado air?

JJ

Ran good for 3 sessions in t&t, the engine started to miss real bad and white smoke pouring out the back. I came in and the engine locked up at the paddock. I pulled the the plugs and # 3 was full of gas (hydrostatic lock) I removed the fuel injector rail you and injector was stuck wide-open dumping fuel just from the pressure in the tank, by that time the intake manifold was full of gas! I cleared all the fuel out, then went to find an injector! None of the parts stores had an injector finally found one out at the boneyard. Install the injector put all the plugs back in fired up knocking like crazy (bend rod or bearings)
    But I had a great time watching Mike Patterson and John Martin Race! They did a great job!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    You might just need new a new rod/crank/piston; My first motor i "blew" was a hydrolock, spun rod bearings caused the piston to smack and lift the head causing the cylinder to flood , twisted a rod and gouge the crank, but block/bores were fine.

Worth having the builder pull it apart first...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that Sean...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    You might just need new a new rod/crank/piston; My first motor i "blew" was a hydrolock, spun rod bearings caused the piston to smack and lift the head causing the cylinder to flood , twisted a rod and gouge the crank, but block/bores were fine.

Worth having the builder pull it apart first...
    Probably right about the diagnosis but it's an old truck motor out of the boneyard only pay 500 for it. Probably not worth rebuilding just find another one.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Sorry to hear that Sean...
    Thanks Marshall

Blog Entries
    Hate hearing that-wonder how the injector got stuck. Certainly should be able to find one around houston but I'll keep my eyes out. Sure you have already checked ls1tech and craigslist butt they usually pop up there. I agree for $500 you should just buy another motor but I think you had the builder go through the one that was in it and do a few things? I think you either don't open it up and put it in or you build up a nice motor. Just tough to justify once you go through with any labor to tear down, inspect, clean, machine work and then any parts or even the gaskets. But then you could have some spares and end up with another short block put together ready to go.
    You want that LS6 shortblock I bought from you back?

How was the car before that? We need a trip report from all of you guys.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

That really sucks man :-/, I've got a 160k mile junkyard 5.0 in my car, but I found some new 19lb injectors on ebay that ran me $100 that I tossed in for insurance. I think I still have the stocker ls1 injectors out of my 36k mile LKQ motor (2000 f-body), let me know if you need them.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net