Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcement

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar

Public Service Announcement

Friends... I am not one for the dramatic and certainly not one that generally would make such announcements and I general keep things very private, but here goes and maybe someone will learn something. We are hard headed creatures.

If you are nearing 50 or if you have a family history of cancers, then get yourself to a doctor and have that dreaded colonoscopy (not nearly as bad as you might imagine). Most here are men and we don't like to discuss or talk about having something probed up our backside, but it could be critical to you to do so.

Some here may know, while you guys were having fun at Hallett, I was in the hospital in Dallas having a colon resection (basically removing about 10 inches of my colon and having it reattached).

I had some symptoms (blood in stool) for close to a year that I ignored as hemorrhoids until Kendra finally had a break down and forced me to see a doctor and be checked out.

Initial visit was just a finger up that region, but did reveal a polyp..not an hemorrhoid that needed removing. I was then scheduled for a full colonoscopy and minor surgery to remove that polyp. The colonoscopy revealed a much larger polyp out of reach for removal during the first surgery, so a second surgery would be needed.

Second surgery was scheduled during Hallett weekend and was much more involved and I spent 5 days at the hospital recovering. A full biopsy was performed from each surgery. First was fine, close to cancer, but none and it was the polyp the doctor had some concern about. However... second polyp which appeared fine, did have some cancer that had spread to a few nearby lymph nodes.

First thing that is done is a colon resection, which I have already had done, but I will now begin chemotherapy today.

This is not as bad as it may sound, while still scary and some really emotional roller coasters to get to this point over the past few weeks, the overall prognosis is still pretty good.

I have had now a full CT scan, full PET scan and all are good with no other cancer found at this time. The cancer was found early.. not as early as would have been preferred, but early enough that I will probably be okay.

I will be taking the chemotherapy twice a month for 6 months mostly as a precaution to kill any cancer cells that may have escaped the area in the colon, but not large enough to show up on the scans. This chemo treatment is not the kind that causes all hair loss, or constant sickness, but will likely cause a lot of fatigue and neuropathy(tingling) in my hands and feet that is exaggerated by touching or drinking cold things.

This is not posted as a pity for me, as I hope to be okay, but more of a warning to you thick mullet head racers that will ignore symptoms and avoid the finger. Go get checked out.. it isn't is bad as I had imagined.

This treatment is not supposed to be debilitating and I plan to work and carry on life as normal as possible.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    James,

Sorry to hear about this. Coming from a family that has been hit hard by cancer over the past few years (three 100% recoveries from Stage 0 breast cancer, 1 non-smoker's inexplicable death from Stage IV lung cancer, and one ongoing battle with stage IV brain cancer), I can definitely attest to the emotional roller coaster that happens when the C Word comes in to play, no matter how "minor" it may seem to yourself.

Good to hear that things will turn out better. Hope you get 100% soon and bring that hoopty out and kick our butts. As always you can count on the AICMC/NASA family if you ever need help with anything...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Good advice James. We should all also consider a healthier diet as preventative maintenance.

I'm glad to hear the prognosis is good and hope that it does indeed turn out that way.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Look how freaked out everyone is about this. They will not even talk about it on the interweb! I'm 57 (will be 58 in a few weeks) and every year when I get my checkup they ask the date of my last colonoscopy and I say never. Got to get this done! I was told by my doc. about a test you can do where you send in some poop (sorry) and they check it. If it's okay you probably do not need the colonoscopy. It is not as good as getting the colonoscopy but I am going to do this as soon as the test kit is sent to me. The first year I went to the doctor for the Jelly finger deal I told him I had been dreading this all week. My Doc said "it was not exactly the highlight of my day either". He also ask me if it was worth dying for a five second finger plug?

Thanks James and I'm so glad you are okay.

JJ

Day two of chemo is not too bad yet. The worst so far is I can't drink anything cold. It is like drinking needles. Of course this listed as one of the major side effects.

Don't put it off guys... go get checked.

If you have a family history of colon or breast cancers... They are recommend you now go by age 35 for at least a baseline test. I lost two uncles at age 60 with cancer and one with colon cancer and the other gall bladder that spread to the liver.

The C-word is a nasty word, but early detection or removal of polyps before they turn cancerous is the thing we should all consider most over being worried about the finger.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Thanks for posting, fuck cancer, I've lost some family to it at a young age and it's not pretty.
    I'm glad to hear that you caught it early and I hope it is 100% behind you.
    I have Crohn's disease so I had my first Colonoscopy at 28 and another one a few months ago, looks like every 2-3 years for me.
    The prep is worse than the procedure, go get it done guys!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    The prep is worse than the procedure, go get it done guys!
    I agree with that.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I agree with that.
    Wait, what's the prep? Dinner and a movie with the doctor?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    James, thanks for posting up to get these mullet heads to listen, and our prayers are with you and your family. I had the colonoscopy done last year, and the prep (no not a dinner and a movie, Liebbe) is worse than the procedure. It can save your life. I had no polyps, and the Dr. said see you in 10 years. I told him, "I hope so."
    As we get older, you have to start looking out for yourself and your loved ones. I'm 59, and even NASA makes me get a stress test so they can review my health.
    Thanks for sharing and I'm praying for you.
    Randy
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm just counting down the days myself until I find that nuking my lunch in the microwave is what does me in or drinking water from the wrong flavor of plastic. . . seems there's no avoiding the shit. Plenty of cancer on both sides of the family from smoking cigarettes to working in coal mines to God knows what. Just hope I catch it quick enough, seems anymore it's a matter of when and not if.