Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Public Service Announcement

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Man James-sure hate hearing this but props to you for sharing and urging us to get checked. Will be thinking about you and keep us updated. Just go buy a ballcap with the mullett in the back to mess with your friends. My last physical was right before I turned 40 and the doc didn't check me-guess I need to go back early and get molested.

Question I have is how did you know you had blood in your poop? Have heard that it won't be red blood unless it's on the outside? So is it black or brown and how do you tell the difference from it and a turd? Doc Frank story's are certainly coming to my mind. May miss Houston but I'll be really looking forward to TWS. Even if you don't bring your car out hope you can make it to TWS or an event sometime.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Thanks Bryan.

It was actual blood so it was red....sorry for this... but it would actually drip blood a little. Started out very little and got worse. I thought it was just a hemorrhoid so I just ignored it...and I didn't really tell Kendra until it got worse a couple of months before she forced me to go see doctor.

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    Everyone should begin screening for colon CA at age 50. If you have a positive family history or symptoms such as bleeding or significant change in bowel habits, most would screen earlier. Different ways to screen, fecal occult blood testing, sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy, pill endoscopy and some newer imaging modalities like MRI or high res CT. Colonoscopy can be both diagnostic and therapeutic so that's what I did and would recommend. If you wait for bleeding you are probably at a more advanced level unless it's rectal, so don't wait for bleeding. Bleeding is generally red for polyps or CA in the rectum and black/tarry for lesions higher up. The interval of screening is changing. Used to be every year or 2 if you had an adenomatous polyp found on initial screening and every 5 years if you were clean. Now it's every 10 years if you are clean until age 75 or so. I got screened at 48 for positive family history. Had a small adenoma removed and was re screened 3 years later. Found another small adenoma and scheduled for another colonoscopy in 5 years. Adenomas are the polyps that can degenerate to CA. So if you are 50 and have not had screening, get it done. Check with your insurance and make sure the gastroenterologist is in network and make sure they do not screw you with the diagnostic verses therapeutic codes. Screening is diagnostic but if they find a polyp you want it removed and now it's therapeutic. Make sure you are pre-approved for both situations. FMR

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Frank, I'm 57 (damn near 58) and every year my Doc ask when was the date of my last Colonoscopy and I say never. This year at my annual physical he ask again and when I told him the answer he ordered me a test where I send in some poop (sorry but this is a shitty deal) and he said this was better than nothing. I have no issues or family history. Since I did this send in deal do you think if it comes back okay I should still get a colonoscopy?

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer cobra132's Avatar
    That's a no brainer, YES. It's like a haircut.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Good stuff Dr. Frank. Definitely don't wait until you see blood....but if you are still too hard headed and do... go then not later.

A recent study I was reading says that colon cancer is on the rise for folks under 50. They are attempting to get the recommended screening age lowered.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for chiming in Frank. Just trying to understand how its therapeutic? Especially therapeutic if a polyp is found. Is it just a difference of definitions between my pea brain and the medical term? I think of therapeutic like a massage or something that isn't medically necessary. Removing a polyp seems like removing a piece of skin cancer off my face that isn't done for cosmetic or therapeutic reasons.

Anyway-all good stuff to discuss and remind us that we need to take care of these things. Thanks for clarifying things as I check the toilet now after a spicy Curry.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Thanks for clarifying things as I check the toilet now after a spicy Curry.
    Really man, I'm on my lunch break.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    JJ,
    Get it done. It's one night you hate, but you can give that assurance to the wife. I did mine at 57, so it's time.
    Pranav, nothing is like a spicy lamb madras.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Blog Entries
    You're getting the best stuff over there. Indian food to London is like Tex-mex here...