Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing this disfunction "family"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar

Fixing this disfunction "family"

All,
    A few weeks ago, I sent NASATX an email with a suggestion. I suggested that they provide a "year end" comment form for racers in all the classes to voice their opinions, frustrations, ideas, etc. without having to do so publicly.

Bekah sent me an email a few days later saying they were working on the form. Hopefully this will turn into a “real” vehicle for us to utilize to let NASATX know what we are concerned about. I know we have these “bitch fests” on the internet, but not everyone may be willing to read everyone’s comments in an internet forum.

I just wanted to let everyone know that we “hopefully” have something that will allow us to clearly voice our opinion.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    I actually kinda take offence to this notion that "we" the racers are some sort of disfuntional family.
    Family, yes. Disfuntional, NO.

For every action (or lack there of) is and equal and opposite REaction.
    A lot of what is seen here as negative crap is a result of a perception of poor management.

Squeeking wheel gets the grease and the wheels came close to falling off IMO. Wobbling pretty bad, cart wondering all over the road etc.

No one did any bitching about the way the Nats was run.

jb

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch
    No one did any bitching about the way the Nats was run.

jb
    Expect more of the same from now on. Hopefully from both sides.

CMC17
    Dysfunctional: a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system. Abnormal or impaired functioning, especially of a bodily system or social group.

I'd have to say it fits.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is more than anyone can be expected to fix. I'm not talking about the rules or procedures, those seem to be tangibles that either get followed or changed or adapted as time goes on. Maybe when the race group gets bigger than 4-5 racers then it's not going to be friendly and fun anymore.

The issue for me has become racing and what it brings out in personalities (or my multiple personalities lol). Of course I'm only addressing my own behavior (not throwing rocks at anyone else or anyone in particular). When I step back I have to admit I'm mostly ashamed at the way I've acted over the last 4 years not only with NASA TX but with my fellow racers. While racing has been a ton of fun but I've also allowed the same "adrenaline rush" to take over my interactions with my fellow racers OFF of the track. This board is chocked full with examples of my unsocial pathological crazy idiocy. I haven't contributed, I've criticized and complained.

Mitch's analogy of writing checks the friendship bank account can't cover pretty much hits the nail on the head. Perhaps I can't play in this sandbox nicely. That's a pretty sad commentary but there's too much truth in it to ignore. Bitching at NASA TX on some year end form is not the answer to this problem, it's the driver's attitude that need adjusting in my case.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    I'm beginning to wonder if it is more than anyone can be expected to fix. I'm not talking about the rules or procedures, those seem to be tangibles that either get followed or changed or adapted as time goes on. Maybe when the race group gets bigger than 4-5 racers then it's not going to be friendly and fun anymore.

The issue for me has become racing and what it brings out in personalities (or my multiple personalities lol). Of course I'm only addressing my own behavior (not throwing rocks at anyone else or anyone in particular). When I step back I have to admit I'm mostly ashamed at the way I've acted over the last 4 years not only with NASA TX but with my fellow racers. While racing has been a ton of fun but I've also allowed the same "adrenaline rush" to take over my interactions with my fellow racers OFF of the track. This board is chocked full with examples of my unsocial pathological crazy idiocy. I haven't contributed, I've criticized and complained.

Mitch's analogy of writing checks the friendship bank account can't cover pretty much hits the nail on the head. Perhaps I can't play in this sandbox nicely. That's a pretty sad commentary but there's too much truth in it to ignore. Bitching at NASA TX on some year end form is not the answer to this problem, it's the driver's attitude that need adjusting in my case.
    Ditto for me....I could not have written it better myself. I too am tired of complaining....it hasn't worked and neither has my approach. I am just going to choose to ignore it the best I can and attempt to enjoy racing again. I have spoken to John and Wayne about this and the conclusion I came up with is that guys like Fincik, and the other two guys with the blue coupe and black LX hatch, whose names elude me at the moment have the right idea...they go out and enjoy open tracking and leave all the BS of competition racing to those of us who THINK they are really racing. I think we might all be confused that we can keep the joy of open tracking with buddies and combine it with our racing fun. I know I have made that mistake and plan to change that in the future.

MW

Senior Member Rookie
    [quote="AI#97"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    I have spoken to John and Wayne about this and the conclusion I came up with is that guys like Fincik, and the other two guys with the blue coupe and black LX hatch, whose names elude me at the moment have the right idea...they go out and enjoy open tracking and leave all the BS of competition racing to those of us who THINK they are really racing. I think we might all be confused that we can keep the joy of open tracking with buddies and combine it with our racing fun. I know I have made that mistake and plan to change that in the future.

MW
    Blue Coupe = Bud Sharp

Black Hatch (GT) =David Schwarze
    David
    89 Mustang LX, A4 331 Stroker, 325rwhp. 360rwtq, Full Griggs,Cobra brakes w/ABS
    Yahoo Racing Ltd.

Okay,
    So some may think it's not the right thing to do, but I do remember us talking about giving comments to NASATX regarding suggestions (constructive criticism, hopefully) which will help the "experience" work better. Be that:

1. Tech inspections
    2. Parking
    3. Grid call
    4. Intercom
    5. Radios
    6. Corner worker flags
    7. etc.
    8. etc.

Not necessarily to "fix" the "family", but just make it better.

Guys, EVERY family is dysfunctional to some extent...

I enjoy racing and hanging out with each of you... which the exception of the Michael Mosty character... 8) . I look forward to a blast at MSR-H.
    Marshall Mosty

So this process does not go through Todd?

It can... We could use the NASA comment form to fill out our issues and Todd (or someone Todd designates) could compile the suggestions/comments/concerns and forward them to NASA.

I am not trying to circumvent the proper protocol for issue resolution. When I emailed NASATX, I was just feeling out the water to see if they would even be receptive to this... obviously they are.

If Todd is the correct vehicle to deliver this to them, I want to use the "proper" channel.
    Marshall Mosty