Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CMC dead?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I think Bob has nailed it. It just cost entirely too much to go a national event when you consider travel, entry fee, tires, brakes... etc.. for a entire week just to race a few cars. Hallett has traditionally had way more than Nats each year.
    Speaking of Nats... have 2016 locations been announced?

We should literally just have CMC nats at Hallett.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Plus having a split nat champ event takes away the lure to want to drive across country. Because even if you win you are still not a "national champion" until you win the mx5 race which is another week you have to take off. I really hope they go back to ONE event.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby jeffburch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    The first Nats had 23.

24 actually.

jb

We were the CMC trimmed car in PTB. It was the one of a few classes we could cross over too. We were heavily outgunned horsepower-wise as a start which resulted in us being about 6-7 seconds slower compared to the other 3 PTB cars. Nonetheless we finished on the podium in 3rd and had a great time at an iconic track. We really didn't care which group we were in, it was more about driving that track. Our fastest lap was a 1:48.161, interested in comparing that to production cars I found that we're about a second faster than a Ford Focus ST per http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

The other half of Team Incidental Contact and myself wrote down a list of "must do" tracks the last weekend. We also broke them down by distance and time to get there. Given we drove to Laguna Seca (about 25.5 hours from western Kansas) our radius is pretty big and comes close to Daytona and parts of New York state. Your results may and will likely vary.

Maybe we (Rocky Mountain, Texas, Midwest who seem to compose the most CMC cars collectively) could work together and strive to get a large turnout at either a west coast or east coast event. We also were working with a few NASA Texas folks in high places to try and get NASA and Toyo to recognize Hallett as a place for a national championship event for CMC/AI, etc. Not sure how it went over but we at least got a conversation going.

Maybe we could start a poll as to which tracks you would attend for either a west coast or east coast national championship event. Probably better thing is to wait til the tracks are announced then see how many would go. Our mistake was thinking 4 cars would surely make the west coast seeing there are two California regions. Had we known there's basically no CMC or AI on the west coast anymore and hadn't already submitted our leave slips for peak leave season at work we would have gone to the east coast event instead. If we plan or attempt to plan/coordinate when the tracks are announced we could avoid that part next year.
    Last edited by BADVENM; 09-11-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffburch View Post
    24 actually.

jb
    It was a test to see if you were still around.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So perhaps collectively we could decide on an event to consider for nats next year? Maybe agree on it here or on the under-utilized CMC forum? I can ping my guys and post their thoughts be it the east, west, or Hallett event. I'm personally in favor of the Hallett event, but then again it's the only long distance event I do so I'm probably biased. I prioritize turnout over a top-notch venue too. I can't swing Hallett plus nats, and I know I'm not the only one. We're kind of unique because 3 regions largely comprise our entire population. Still need to call Thede and talk about the conversation he had at Laguna Seca.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure why I care so much about having a large CMC turnout at a national championship event. I swore I'd never go to another one after attending two or three of them and only having selective rules in the CMC rulebook enforced and others ignored or blown off as "doesn't give a performance advantage".