Thread: Mid Corner Steering Wheel Flutter/shake

Hybrid View

Been there done that: Electric Glue

#82 LT Camaro has had shudder in the steering wheel on several occasions. In every case there was play in the steering. But there have been 3 different causes. 1. Loose steering rack, we now double nut the rack in place. 2. Broken steering rack mounts which require rack replacement 3. Broken K member. I have welded the K member 5-6 times, no my welds didn't break, the failure simply moves to another point on the K member as far away as 12" from the lower pick up point. It has be become routine maintenance for me to weld up the K member after most races this year. After TWS we had major cracking on the passenger side. After Hallet (no I didn't go off road or fly or hit anyone) we had cracks on the driver side along with a broken lower shock mount. This is why I voted against the stickier RR tires.

I would like to see tubular K members allowed as the stock units require constant repair & are hard to find.

Bottom line: ANY time I feel shudder in the wheel while cornering we look for cracks and fire up the welder.

Dan Allford

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Wow, I'd looked at the ears where the arms mount but gave zero consideration to the thing a foot away. I'll give that a peek in addition to the rack's mounting for sure!

Maybe you should just drill a couple of holes in that k member and allow it to flex a bit Dan
    Al Fernandez

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Maybe you should just drill a couple of holes in that k member and allow it to flex a bit Dan
    or just drill a 1/16" hole to stop the crack propagating....

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I gave mine a good once over and can't find any cracks.