Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Yeah, Allford's car was sick.
    It has been sick for awhile.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    I like the track record note on your dash, I can't believe you didn't get stuck. I think staying in it caused the spin but if it would have recovered it probably would have snapped back and went around the other way.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    My car suffered a catastrophic driveline failure. On lap 4 of race 1, I went through the bump in turn 1 and the rear end started to growl. I thought, hmm - that's not good, I've heard this sound before. About 10 seconds later down the straight before diamonds edge, at 120mph or so, I was about to shift to 5th gear and Ba-boom. The rear end grenaded and took out the drive shaft with it. It twisted in half like a piece of licorice. The noise was more than a normal rear end break - and I figured the drive shaft was toast based on the variety of noises I was hearing. I pulled to the right as quickly as possible to not interfere with the good line into the entry of the corner. That was the best place I figured - hope it was ok for y'all racing, I didn't have many options at that point.

I wave out the window to the corner station letting them know I'm fine, although I couldn't see them as the station was behind to my left. I remain buckled into the car and patiently wait for rescue. I assumed I'd be sitting awhile, but they came out fairly quickly. They pull in front of me and walk up to the passenger side - I explain the situation, and he looks under the car confirming the driveshaft was broken. He asks if I think it will roll, I confirm that I at least rolled to where I was at, so he hooks up the tow rope. We start cruising around the track and he does a pretty good job of staying out of the way of the race. The grinding noise was bad while being towed, as well as the stench of burned diff fluid. The front half of the driveshaft ejected itself along the way, and I'm glad nobody hit it.

We get back to the pits, I jump out of the car and grab my radio to call Control. I let them know that a driveshaft was on the track and that they needed to get it before the next race. I proceed to jack up the car and see the pumpkin smoking, a few inches of driveshaft still connected to the rearend yolk, and significant damage to the exhaust where the driveshaft unleashed its fury. Knowing the weekend was over for racing, I went about my RD duties for the remainder of the day.

I hunted around that evening for a potential substitute car to rent to get some points and continue the quest for another championship. Orange was nice enough to offer me his whip for Race 4 if I wanted, so we rolled his fender and test fit my wheels. It was looking good to at least salvage some points. Thanks Dave for the offer, it was much appreciated.

After sleeping on it, I realized that even if I raced in Race 4, that TWS was a scratch based on the significant damage. So, I conceded that my points chase was over and told Dave that I would pass on Race 4. It is what it is. I'm glad Dave raced in Race 4 - what an amazing race and stellar win in CMC! Congrats man, best race we watched all weekend.

I won't be band-aiding another 10 bolt. I'll be moving on to an 8.8 or 9 inch, and that may take awhile to fabricate and fund. I'll be tearing down the car in a couple weeks to figure out what else may have taken damage. I suspect the clutch and tranny will come out, as the tranny took quite a shock. The motor seems to run fine, let's hope it didn't get zinged in the process.

While the car is down I'm going to work on a never ending list of things to be done to it, and fixed correctly that have been hastily repaired over the past year or so. There is no time line. So whenever its ready, its ready. That may be a year from now. In the mean time, I'll continue to be at the races to RD, drink beer, and eat good BBQ.

Thanks to all that helped me load the broken chariot into the trailer. Fun having the kids participate =)

Cheers!
    Last edited by MikeP99Z; 09-29-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Had one of my more frustrating weekends in a while.

Back in early August, I picked up the car after paint/body on time and got to work. Every weekend and spare weeknight was spent getting the car back together, and fighting with suspension/subframe repair and sorting out other issues with the car to make it safe/reliable again. When it got time to final front end assembly I got sick with the flu and fell behind by a week. Had to miss the TDE event running CCW at MSRH two weeks ago, and got back to work. As usual EVERYTHING took forever, and spent most of last week sleeping 3-5 hours, going to work, and getting the car done at night. Missed test and tune after accidentally drilling a hole in my radiator, showed up saturday morning tired and sleep deprived and no idea how to drive the track.

Felt much better Sunday but just couldn't drive the car fast to save my life. The car itself performed flawlessly outside of the need to re-bleed brakes and a flaky transponder, which turned out to just be a loose wire.

Just frustrating watching the rest of the pack being 3-4 turns away and getting lapped by the race leaders on the last race with a bunch of people watching from the stands.

Hope I can do better at TWS, I finally crossed the 2 min barrier last time I ran there for an OTD. Really hoping I can finally get past the "rebuild-the-car-between-each-race-and-skip-seat-time" situation that has plagued me for the past 3 seasons for 2016.

After Mike dropped out Jack and Casey battled for the win. Here's the last lap. https://youtu.be/vqPWOdRBkwQ
    Here is our view first lap of race2 https://youtu.be/fJqhXFVe71c
    sunday qualifying decided it wasnt worth the chance of damaging the car https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYlN_GKCsM
    Last edited by JMR81; 09-29-2015 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Had one of my more frustrating weekends in a while.

Back in early August, I picked up the car after paint/body on time and got to work. Every weekend and spare weeknight was spent getting the car back together, and fighting with suspension/subframe repair and sorting out other issues with the car to make it safe/reliable again. When it got time to final front end assembly I got sick with the flu and fell behind by a week. Had to miss the TDE event running CCW at MSRH two weeks ago, and got back to work. As usual EVERYTHING took forever, and spent most of last week sleeping 3-5 hours, going to work, and getting the car done at night. Missed test and tune after accidentally drilling a hole in my radiator, showed up saturday morning tired and sleep deprived and no idea how to drive the track.

Felt much better Sunday but just couldn't drive the car fast to save my life. The car itself performed flawlessly outside of the need to re-bleed brakes and a flaky transponder, which turned out to just be a loose wire.

Just frustrating watching the rest of the pack being 3-4 turns away and getting lapped by the race leaders on the last race with a bunch of people watching from the stands.

Hope I can do better at TWS, I finally crossed the 2 min barrier last time I ran there for an OTD. Really hoping I can finally get past the "rebuild-the-car-between-each-race-and-skip-seat-time" situation that has plagued me for the past 3 seasons for 2016.
    Hit me up if you need some help finding speed @ TWS.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Weird but good weekend for me. I only got 2 sessions in on Friday before committing the age-old sin of walking away from an unpinned hood. Spent the rest of the day dealing with the resulting damage. Friday kinda sucked. Saturday was better though, qualified 2nd for R1 and ended up with the win after Mike's driveline explosion and then barely holding off a late race charge from Jack. First win of the season for me, which was nice, but I hate that it came mostly from someone else's misfortune. Bummed for Mike...we've all been there and it really sucks. Race 2 was a lot of fun dicing it up with Bill and Ian. Jack checked out early and I couldn't quite close the gap - big congrats to him on his first AI win!!

Windshield fogged up pretty bad in Sunday qual so I came back in after looping it on the outlap. Got the visibility issues fixed for R3 and had a blast sliding around on slicks. It took some pretty creative lines to find grip but it was there and lots of fun once I found it. I was genuinely sad when the checkers came out...wanted to keep going. R4 should be a good video...Ian and I were the only remaining AI cars and were gridded behind CMC. With the CMC points battle so tight, Ian and I agreed to hang back the first lap or so and not jam ourselves into the middle of their dogfight. That worked out great and we started our race somewhere on lap 2 after CMC spread out a little bit. I got by Ian after a couple laps and was trying to maintain a gap while watching Craig and Mike M. duke it out. It was a really fun battle to watch but Ian was reeling me back in and Dave, Mike, and Craig were all nose to tail right in front of me. Nowhere to go without messing up their race. It ended up super close...I think all 5 of us crossed the finish right on top of each other. Great weekend for me overall...looking forward to TWS! Thanks to Dave and Craig for helping with my busted hood on Friday.
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    Orange was nice enough to offer me his whip for Race 4 if I wanted, so we rolled his fender and test fit my wheels. It was looking good to at least salvage some points. Thanks Dave for the offer, it was much appreciated.
    Dude, Orange looks GOOD on 18s...

To the two Fox Body Big Brake Mustang Cheaters... not fair to them - they're legal and fast as snot.

I didn't want no more. I expected the look on my face to be complete terror... some of the deep braking certainly felt like it:

https://vimeo.com/140872862
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Dude, Orange looks GOOD on 18s...

To the two Fox Body Big Brake Mustang Cheaters... not fair to them - they're legal and fast as snot.

I didn't want no more. I expected the look on my face to be complete terror... some of the deep braking certainly felt like it:

https://vimeo.com/140872862
    All that and in an inferior platform!!! Nicely done Dave! Did you see that Leinart?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.