Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stoptech washer issue

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Stoptech washer issue

I spent some time yesterday with the VP of Sales for Stoptech and he is going to take care of us that had issues with our mounting hardware, please PM me if you had issues and I will get him a list so he can send out replacement hardware. He told me they revised the washer and it should fix the issue.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I spent some time yesterday with the VP of Sales for Stoptech and he is going to take care of us that had issues with our mounting hardware, please PM me if you had issues and I will get him a list so he can send out replacement hardware. He told me they revised the washer and it should fix the issue.

This is great news but the bad hardware cause my rotor ring to slot way more than it should have. I was one that had to spend money on new hardware and a new ring. I only replaced one but I need to look at the other one hard prior to TWS.

Jerry

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I agree w/ Jerry, the hardware fix is nice but the trashed rotor rings are the bigger problem.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

If we can build a big enough case I will see what I can do and maybe try to get new rings, do we think the wallerin is a result of poor hardware at this point?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    If we can build a big enough case I will see what I can do and maybe try to get new rings, do we think the wallerin is a result of poor hardware at this point?
    No doubt. Stoptech said they would not admit the hardware caused the rotor wear issue but they sold me a replacement ring for about half price. That was good of them but obviously they new it was their fault. I purchased the Stoptech kit just because I saw others not having to carry extra rotors to every event. If the hardware did not cause the rotor wear those damn rings may last ten seasons! I have three seasons on the one rotor that I have not had to replace. What I don't know is why one side wore out and the other did not.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    No doubt. Stoptech said they would not admit the hardware caused the rotor wear issue but they sold me a replacement ring for about half price. That was good of them but obviously they new it was their fault. I purchased the Stoptech kit just because I saw others not having to carry extra rotors to every event. If the hardware did not cause the rotor wear those damn rings may last ten seasons! I have three seasons on the one rotor that I have not had to replace. What I don't know is why one side wore out and the other did not.

JJ
    Better corner balance that thing!
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I've been running their rings for 8 years now and could use some revised hardware.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    Marshall, I'd be curious to see how your rings are holding up with wallering out. Didn't you change a ring out a year or two ago that had cracked?
    I still have my first set that I ran for 2 1/2 years as my spare set now, and you can definitely see the holes are worn funny.

I wonder if the CMC "plain faced" rings are made of the same material as StopTechs standard slotted ones.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I did have a ring crack at NOLA back in 2013 (6 seasons on the rings, probably 20 weekends).
    I didn't pay attention to the attachment slots.

When the car comes off the trailer, I will definitely pull that apart to see how they are wearing.

Just from a design/production aspect, I don't see StopTech specifying a different base material of iron casting for the ring. The slots are just part of the "post-op machining" step before they are considered finished units.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Dan had a failure on one of his Stoptech rings. I don't have any solid facts, but it looks to me like the fabrication of the rings has been changed relatively recently. So many people have reported many years of usage without problems. Yet, all of the failures I have seen have been on rings that were purchased not that long ago. The first set of rings we had on Orange looked great until we killed one with a failed hub flange. The replacement rings showed signs of small radial heat cracks after their first event. These cracks aren't a big deal and can be found on most rotors that have seen hard use. We didn't see the cracks on the old rotor rings until we accidentally ran out of pad material at NOLA and overheated the rotors by running on the backing plates.

Hopefully the new washer setup will help out with the issue. Seems to me it could just be trying to mask the real problem.

Richard P.