Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoptech washer issue

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    So whats the skinny on Stoptech helping out any? I took my brakes apart over the brake and had our CMC director come over to take a look. The holes/slots on the rings are pretty wallered? out so they have a lot of movement on the hat. The washers were definitely not flat and at some point the washers and bolt would have pulled through like has happened to Jerry. So I definitely need to get some new rings. Where do you guys get new rings? It doesn't look like Stoptech sells direct?
    Was the VP of sales any help?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I bought my rings thru John George (Chicane23.com).
    Michael checked his this past weekend and had the same issue, but is going to run at least another few weekends with what he has before putting on a spare set.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I have not received any PM's on this, he offered to replace the hardware but not the ring, we can try to build a case on the rings and see what they have to say, perhaps the faulty hardware caused issues with the rings?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They gave me a deal on the one ring that I had this happen on. They would not admit anything was wrong with the ring was Stoptech fault but wanted to help me. I assumed they were helping because they knew this should not have happened. My other ring (last I looked at Hallett) was still perfect. The old ring I think is three years old this May. I think I got the replacement for about half price. Everyone that saw the pics at Stoptech said they had never seen this problem. If these rings did not elongate the pin holes I think they would last three or four seasons on a CMC car.

I was going to laser cut some new thicker Inconel washers but I was worried about the elongated holes so I did not even try it.

John George can get us the new rings but the question is do we have to expect this in the future? If so this does not make the Stoptech brakes near as good a deal as I felt they were in the beginning. I think Michael is on his second set of rings. How long did it take for this to happen on the new set of rings and do the old ones that were kept for spares show this issue at all?

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 01-04-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I have run the Stoptechs for just over 5 years. I got a new set of rings after 2 1/2 years just as a preventative issue and to keep the old set as spares. Both my spares and my current set (2 1/2 years on them as well) have the holes elongated out. They are not near as bad as what Leinarts look like but they are still noticeable.
    My guess is the ring is just a wear item.

It seems strange that Stoptech says they have never seen this before. Maybe everyone they sell to changes out rings far more frequently than we do as they are most likely putting a lot more stress on their brakes than we are.

That being said, it they are helping give a discount on new rings, I'll take them up on it.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I have run the Stoptechs for just over 5 years. I got a new set of rings after 2 1/2 years just as a preventative issue and to keep the old set as spares. Both my spares and my current set (2 1/2 years on them as well) have the holes elongated out. They are not near as bad as what Leinarts look like but they are still noticeable.
    My guess is the ring is just a wear item.

It seems strange that Stoptech says they have never seen this before. Maybe everyone they sell to changes out rings far more frequently than we do as they are most likely putting a lot more stress on their brakes than we are.

That being said, it they are helping give a discount on new rings, I'll take them up on it.

I don't know if they will help again but I will search my email and see if I can find the guy I worked with at Stoptech and see if we can get some help.

JJ

Blog Entries
    I talked with Pat at Stoptech and Brian from Maximum Motorsports (this was back when this happened to me last summer). This is not a new email.

pmccleish@centricparts.com

They were convinced the hubs were worn out and this caused the elongation. I'm calling BS. Both hubs were fine. Here is the info I received from Pat.

We believe the issues stems from a deflecting hub/wheel bearing assembly putting the drive pins in tension instead of shear. The wheel spacers accelerate this type of problem. Please make sure to check the hat for any deformation in the drive pin holes as well. If the wheel bearing deflection issue isn’t addressed, this is likely to happen again. The washers are only there to prevent the pin from falling out…the assembly is designed to the load the drive pins in shear, not tension…there should be no side loading of the rotor.

The rotor ring cannot be re-used. The new rotor comes will come with a replacement drive pin kit. You can contact Maximum Motorsports for the replacement components

H
    Since my hubs were tight what caused this? Richard, Marshall?

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 01-04-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Oh and the aluminum hat that is on the other side of the rotor ring connected by the pins still look like new. So the cast rotor holes elongate but the aluminum hat does not?????

I need to know how many rings we have like this and I will contact Pat for all of us. Unless someone else has a better contact or more stroke with someone at Stoptech.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 01-04-2016 at 07:55 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Can someone look at my rings at MSR-H and tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    Can someone look at my rings at MSR-H and tell me what I'm supposed to be looking for?
    We will bring one of Michael's rings as a "show and tell"...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...