Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stoptech washer issue

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I'll snap a pic this week but both of my rings are this way. Jerry-both of my rings are wallered out. I don't have much time to wait on Stoptech as I need rings for the first event in two weeks.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I'll snap a pic this week but both of my rings are this way. Jerry-both of my rings are wallered out. I don't have much time to wait on Stoptech as I need rings for the first event in two weeks.
    Are the Stoptech rotor assemblies the same dimensions as "stock 13in" replacement rotors. My question is; if Stoptech doesn't get new rotors in time, can an off the shelf rotor do in a pinch by spacing the caliper relative to the spindle if necessary?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea Rob. It sounds like I can find slotted rotors. But I'm more concerned about this happening again. I have reached out to RacingBrake but didn't get a reply. I may just run the factory caliper setup instead.

I did call Stoptech today and talked to Pat who acted like he had never heard of anything like this happening. He asked me to email him which I did along with pictures. Will let you know what he comes back with.

I tend to think there is an issue with be build process on the blank rotors since the only issues we have seen like this have been from the blanks. Otherwise wouldn't we see this problem across the world with Stoptechs. Do any of the AI guys have an issue with the rings wallering out?
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Ive had mine on there since 2013 and just checked them again this week. No issues. Maybe yall got a bad chinese washer batch?
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    Ive had mine on there since 2013 and just checked them again this week. No issues. Maybe yall got a bad chinese washer batch?
    There is no way the washer caused the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    There is no way the washer caused the issue.
    Hub deflection makes the most sense to me, do the pads have a tapered wear pattern? I would take Aaron's brake durability with a grain of salt, I rarely see him use the brakes

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    Hub deflection makes a lot more sense. I'm paranoid though and check my hubs all the time. Surprisingly they last a while on a heavy mustang.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Blog Entries
    Y'all got me thinking again.

Presently I run these calipers:
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...rder=Ascending

I run custom brackets made by a buddy in college station to adapt them to the 4th gen f-body spindle.

They accept off-the-shelf 13x1.1 J55 rotors from the C4 'vette:
    http://www.stockwiseauto.com/images/...N/12062046.jpg

In addition I have the super awesome blainefab 3" brake ducts that seal off the inside of the rotors:
    http://www.blainefab.com/ductplenums.html

With this setup I make a set of rotors last almost an entire season before one of them will crack at a whopping cost of around $100/pair.

So I'm only around $700 in for my brakes excluding pads so far.

Now that the rules allow slotted rotors, and if I so feel inclined in the future, I can now jump to the two-piece bandwagon like everyone else for an additional $550-600, and drop 4 pounds of weight off each front wheel:
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wi...8313/overview/

Maybe if I'm a good boy this year I'll reward myself with new shocks and these rotors.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hub deflection does make since but my pads are wearing evenly and I could not feel any deflection at all. I changed hubs even though the one's on the car felt great.

JJ

Blog Entries
    updating thread later
    Last edited by BryanL; 01-13-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24