Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LT1 Cam data

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LT1 Cam data

Well, as I suspected I had the wrong cam in my motor. Got it out this morning. My old cam was the one w/ 241 stamped on it and the one put in to replace it was one w/ 600 stamped on it.

See below info from here: http://www.fierolt1.com/lt1_rebuild.htm

CAMS
    1992-’95 350 WITH ALUMINUM HEADS - The 1992 Corvette had a steel roller cam with a shallow hole in the snout that measured .450" in the front and tapered down to .240" at the bottom. It had a short dowel (.320") that was used to locate the timing gear and a hole with 16 splines in the center of the gear for the stub shaft that drove the early distributor. The 1993-‘94 H.O. cam had a few subtle changes, but all of the early H.O. cams are the same for all intents and purposes. They can be identified by the number "241" stamped on the barrel in front of the first lobe.

1994-’96 350 WITH IRON HEADS - The distributor drive was changed on the iron-headed motors only in 1994, so the front of the cam and the timing gear were changed, too. The cam had a pilot hole that was bigger and deeper (0.500" x 1.0625") and it had a longer (.685") dowel pin that stuck out beyond the timing gear to drive the new distributor. This iron-headed motor was used in the Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster and Cadillac Fleetwood, so it came with a milder cam that improved low end torque and reduced valve train noise. These cams have the long dowel pin and either "600" or "779" stamped on the barrel of the cam in front of the first lobe.

1995-’97 350 WITH ALUMINUM HEADS - In 1995, the aluminum-headed motors got the late, pin-drive distributor, so there’s a second version of the H.O. cam with the big pilot hole (.500" x 1.0625" ) and the long (.685" ) dowel pin. Look for a cam with the long pin and either "242" or "705" stamped on the barrel in front of the first lobe.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    When I wiped a lobe on my '95 pin-drive cam during comp school, I found a '92 cam and had a machine shop drill out the center section to turn it into a '95 style cam so I could make the first race. Ran fine till I scrapped the shortblock due to cracks/issues/overheating. New block had a good '95 cam, until I blew it all up earlier this year. I got lucky and found another '95 cam on ebay to go with my latest, 3rd short block. Every once in a while I look for spares and can't find em. Don't even get me started on 96+ OBD2 timing covers, they are unobtanium.

Currently on my 4th cam, 4th crank, 3rd short block, 2nd set of heads in 3 years. Sorry to all those out there having trouble finding LT1 hard parts, I just keep eating them up.
    Last edited by Pranav; 11-05-2015 at 11:22 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I won the lottery this Spring. After I rebuilt my motor (93 csr, late cam), I scored a 95 Caprice motor for $220. My spare cam, for which I only paid shipping, will drop right in with my 95 ONLY timing cover. Add heads and it's a CMC motor. At least the OBD-II cover was offered for 2 years.

Blog Entries
    Found a clean LT1 t56 input shaft for cheap, along with a '95 cam.

I'm now slowly hoarding LT1 parts I hope I never need.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Found a clean LT1 t56 input shaft for cheap
    Is there a price at which you sell the input shaft? I have a "T56 Kit" that needs one.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So that cheater aluminum input didn't hold up, did it?

Blog Entries
    Lol, I made mine out of ceramic!

Dave sent you a note

Junior Member Rookie
    I think I have several good LT1 T56 input shafts. I have converted several Lt T56s to LS1 T56s and I am using them as Clutch alignment tools. I can check tonight to see exactly what I have if you are interested
    Bob
    Bob Denton
    CMC #67
    Great Lakes Region

Blog Entries
    Yes! These are unobtanium items now!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Den34 View Post
    I can check tonight to see exactly what I have if you are interested
    That would be nice. The one I have has the splines for 1/2 pretty torn up - guessing it lived in a drag car at some point. Like I told Pranav, it would let me put a spare together.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!