Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NASA Texas (Questions, Concerns, Improvements)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    In scca if you don't set a tire on the track on one day then they will refund you for that day.
    This changes my mind. Still I stand behind a business owner being able to do whatever he wants to. SCCA does not give us near as much track time as NASA does (assuming I have been told correctly). I'm really surprised SCCA will do the refund like this.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm really surprised SCCA will do the refund like this.

JJ
    I'm not, it's good business.
    On the other hand, with the negative things that I have heard about the SCCA it does surprise me coming from them.
    Like you said Jerry, we can vote with our dollars. Will has the product, we want it, he is the boss until we are not willing to pay for it.
    It feels greedy to me, 95% of the time when I ask a manager or owner for something that is reasonable, we are able to work something out, a credit for a day that you never touch the track is absolutely reasonable to me. If people are abusing this system then I completely understand where Will is coming from, but as long time customers, I didn't expect for us to be treated this way.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    A little off of the direction this thread has taken, but for an improvement - a more affordable/durable/longer usable tire please. Bring back the original RA1 tire we loved so much. Toyo can call it anything they want, but bring it back. All the "progress" from Toyo has been away from a quality tire for the weekend warriors like us. Quite honestly (among many other factors in life) this is one of the reasons keeping me away from CMC/NASA. I'm nearing the point where I will buy a set of Nitto NT01's and have fun with the car somewhere else.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    A little off of the direction this thread has taken, but for an improvement - a more affordable/durable/longer usable tire please. Bring back the original RA1 tire we loved so much. Toyo can call it anything they want, but bring it back. All the "progress" from Toyo has been away from a quality tire for the weekend warriors like us. Quite honestly (among many other factors in life) this is one of the reasons keeping me away from CMC/NASA. I'm nearing the point where I will buy a set of Nitto NT01's and have fun with the car somewhere else.
    I agree with you Rob. I'm not going to stop racing because of the tires but having to spend a grand a weekend on tires does not belong in CMC.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I ran last season with 2014's leftover RA1s and 1 set of RRs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I ran last season with 2014's leftover RA1s and 1 set of RRs.
    No problem with that but in Texas if you want to be on the podium they all pretty much show up with new tires every weekend. I too want a tire that lasts all season like they used too. So either the group decides to go to a different tire and give up the toyo money or somehow a negotiation is made with Toyo to run some form of their street tire that will last longer. It isn't about Toyo trying to make money by selling RR's to CMC racers either-it's not even a drop in the bucket for them to be worried about financially.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

So we make a Texas rule to only run RA1's? Contingency still works, and we are on a longer lasting tire, unless of course the newer RA1's are junk.

I ran my 255 RA1 Rain's at Hallett 2015 for race 3, in the dry, prob 5/32 avg tread depth. I finished the race 3rd (started 10th) and was 3rd fastest in lap speed.
    Last edited by mach1; 02-11-2016 at 10:41 AM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    We think (and I stress think) the older RA1's lasted longer. Not just CMC'rs but several other groups said they saw the same thing. The newer RA1 did not last as long and did fall off after some number of heat cycles. The old RA's were the same one heat cycle from cording as it was the first few cycles.

The issue for me is I picked CMC because I did not want to have to spend a fortune on a car or tires. I saw CMC as a working mans series. It is NOT a normal working mans series. Most of my life I wanted to race and until I was 45 years old there was no way I could have taken 7-10 grand a year out of my family expenses for racing. CMC is still maybe the least expensive way to go road racing but I wonder how many more would race with us if cost were lower? For me tires are the largest expense. Of course if you finish at the front enough the tire bill is almost a non-issue.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-11-2016 at 02:13 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    CMC should be "entry" level but it is still racing and it does cost money. It just doesn't need to cost an unnecessary amount. Seems like going to a non-contingency tire, of a durable and consistent quality, would level the playing field to some degree. Or at least eliminate the advantages the front runners seem to enjoy with the current tire.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Really depends on the surface too. 3 of my 5 races were on a Hallett-like surface that allows you to run old junk and still be fast. I saved my RRs for the other surfaces the best I could.