Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trailer inspection

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

trailer inspection

Anyone gone through this yet? I have never had a trailer inspected. I know James got popped once near MSRH if I remember. If I understand you can't get the license plates without an inspection. Does anyone know if they check the runaway brake? My battery is the original and can't be any good this many years later. The trailer builder told me the battery would just last long enough when new to stop the trailer. It's sure to be crap by now. I have never even hooked it up.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Locally, they do not check anything....just that you have the brake controller installed. I am sure places check more than others.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    I did it last year, I think the guy pulled it forward and maybe looked it over.

I've thought about putting the battery in the taillight circuit, if it's already not, to keep it charged.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I talked to a friend that owns a place that does inspections and he said they have no way of checking the breakaway system. They just make sure you have one. BL and I looked it up and if your rig loaded is less then 4500 lbs. you do not have to get it inspected.

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    BL and I looked it up and if your rig loaded is less then 4500 lbs. you do not have to get it inspected.
    I even stumbled across the note from DMV last year, to get tags you have to have an inspection. Good luck explaining it to the person you have to get tags from.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I am going to try the "online" renewal and will see what happens. I have mine registered as a "shop build" with a 4000lb GVWR.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    So on a serious note, if I install a deep cycle in my trailer would it be a bad idea to hook the runaway brake control to it? Any parasitic draw? Or is it dead until you yank that cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    So on a serious note, if I install a deep cycle in my trailer would it be a bad idea to hook the runaway brake control to it? Any parasitic draw? Or is it dead until you yank that cable?
    Having pulled mine out (mostly by accident) I think it's just a 'dead man's switch;' completely open circuit that dumps 12V to the brakes when the cable is pulled.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Is that a one and done switch or can it be reset? I keep forgetting to get an eye bolt to be able to use mine. Seems silly to hook it to the hitch as that's likely the part that failed if you have to use the setup in the first place.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That cable needs to be connected to the same place your safety chains are hooked.