Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSR-H January 2016 Media

Senior Member Grass-Passer

MSR-H January 2016 Media

Race 3
    https://youtu.be/c6RAdNe1rmw
    The rear view didn't turn out as good as I would have liked. Will get R2 and R4 uploaded tonight. For some reason R1 didn't get recorded.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Damn, nice work getting that posted so quickly, I didn't get any video at all from the weekend, with all of the car issues, I loaded my camera up for R3 and it wasn't reading my SD card.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    I didn't get any video at all from the weekend
    Yeah, but all that open track in front of you just gets boring...

Seemed like a good opening weekend overall to me.

The Fox is dead... long live the Fox.

Apparently tires do make a difference. Orange just couldn't seem to get up to the same steady state cornering of the Mustangs. Or the other red-shift-orange drive around me on the outside of Carousel 82 car.

Of course some dynamic camber, a missing front swaybar end link, "wrong" front brake pads, two corded front tires, etc. didn't help. (Just buttering you guys up for my next event) Scott did find the swaybar bolt resting gently on top of the lower control arm...

Oh, and apparently in round 3 - for some unknown reason - a Camaro needs +12 volts to the ignition circuit, huh who knew? And if you're in that position don't pull as far forward on the cut off road at the entrance to Carousel.

I guess it's good news that the Traqmate Christmas present will tell me exactly how fast I was going backwards through Diamonds Edge in R4.

Thanks to Scott for keeping Sean and I prepped, Pranav for some parts, and Jander for the intro to data class.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 01-25-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Here is my R4 Video. Some close 4 way racing starting around the 12 minute mark. At 12:50 Dan decided he had enough and just turned right...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4I...ew?usp=sharing

-Jay

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Is Allford's car still running only on 7?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    Is Allford's car still running only on 7?
    It may not be on seven but it's not right.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Good vids so far. Need some more video and story's of what happened. Hate I missed it but looks like what I would expect. Fords take 11 of 12 podiums in CMC, congrats to Francis for the lone podium (of course on an invert). Al has a DQ-was it his hood and were there any good games in the evenings? Cool to see a fast old AI car out there and then have Michael set the AI track record-CONGRATS!
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I had a "classic" event, as I couldn't get the car all the way thru 4 races. Chased an electrical miss on Saturday during practice/qual/R1. "Solved" the issue by unplugging the brand new MSD-6AL box. Michael went on to run R2 in my car and set a track record in AI. Thought the problem was solved, so plugged the box back in and duplicated the miss. Based on that, I figured that I was good to go on Sunday. Had the car sit overnight and during qual on Sunday, the miss was back... Well sort of. It was different on Sunday. It was more erratic and was lower in the RPM band. The engine revved easier, but it would at times lose complete power, like I turned the car off. I've put up what little video I have of R3. You can watch the tach and see what's going on.

On lap 2, the input shaft shears so I was done...

any help to diagnose possible causes would be appreciated. My first thoughts are:
    1. Master disconnect is getting flakey and shutting on/off intermittently
    2. Engine harness grounds might be bad. There are only 5 total grounds (3 on the back of the intake and 2 at the computer). I will validate all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgvk...ature=youtu.be

You can see it at 0:25, 0:48, and then starting at 0:57 thru 1:07. At 1:06, you can see it break up so bad it strobes my shift light (5600 rpm). At 2:10, the engine completely cuts out...
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 01-27-2016 at 10:00 PM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer Casey_SS's Avatar
    Battery on the fritz? It looked like one of those small Odyssey-types you typically hear of folks having issues with... Might take it to Autozone and have it tested under load just to rule it out if nothing else. May as well take your alternator at the same time and test it too. In the video, it seems like the car just isn't getting enough juice to run properly...
    2012 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #29

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Need some more video and story's of what happened.
    Good crowd and the weather was pretty darn nice. Friday started windy and chilly and several of the crew spent some time on track. McCormick by his own admission burned more fuel on Friday than he had expected - but hey, when you have huge "jets," the girls giggle and you burn some fuel. John Martin had an interesting issue - car came in either running really poorly or not at all. It took four of us to figure out we couldn't use a multimeter on a set of plug wires. Apparently a good set of rumble strips caused the rotor to come of the post under the distributor cap - apparently Fords need timed spark to run, who knew?

The Orange got its new Traqmate installed on Friday which would turn out to be pretty cool. Too bad I didn't install clutch fluid or tighten the right front lower control arm enough after installing the new cheater solid bushings and PresRich Go-fast 4th Gen Front Hubs(tm).

HEY MOZADER! I got the new PresRich Go-fast 4th Gen Front Hubs(tm) and they are really fast. Too bad they're not orange.

R1 - normal no show for qual. But that's ok, between John, and his car, falling asleep at the green the sleeping timing loop meant black flag all, an aborted first lap, all but three cars in the hot pit lane, people staring, oh the pressure not another standing start... and the race was eventually on. That's when I found out the clutch was dry since the car was stuck in 4th into the launch (I know, I know... we think it was just under speed/load and no clutch. It shifted fine the rest of the weekend) and wouldn't turn left, so much for R1.

R2 - playa gotta do what a playa gotta do - chase mustangs. The Redshift Racing 82 car still seems to be fighting ignition issues. I mean, I almost felt bad passing the sputtering orange car - almost. Of course in R4 he would just drive around me on the outside of carousel so I'm thinking he took the day overall. Helps to have a car that turns and almost slows down. No engine smoke - but a pair of corded fronts put Saturday to rest.

R3 - qualifying seems like a good way to burn some gas. And start somewhere behind John. And go by John on the green - he must like napping on the front straight. Jander taunted me with a little (a very little) inside room into T1... I passed; the opportunity, that was going to be ugly. Fell in line and started chasing mustangs... where or where are the Chebbies? The Fox is dead... long live the Fox. Was cool until Orange just died. Dead. Completely ded. Found on road dead so I pulled into the crossover to keep the green going. I quickly decided I had pulled too far toward the entrance to carousel - so did Jim when he waved going by sideways taking a cone with him. Belts tight? Check. I tried to restart to no avail a couple of times. As the white came out I started working the plan on how to get back to the paddock. Looking around the car, fully believing it to be electrical I glanced at the fuse boxes in the passenger floor. Yes, they're supposed to be there. I said, "Huh, self. Is that wire supposed to be on that terminal on that fuse?" Apparently it was because it started right up after putting it back on. Apparently 4th gens need +12 volts to the ignition to run - who knew? As a side note, the official Redshift Technical Advisor, also known as a rocket scientist, failed my wiring install.

R4 - the good news is I was chasing Mustangs... well after the 82 forced me to start on the wrong side of the track and used an AI car as a pick. Uh... and I passed him cause his car was sick... and Craig passed me cause I slow getting up to use the 82 as a pick... the Traqmate data says the backward off into diamonds edge was at a billion MPH. Well, it was fast - I haven't looked at the data yet. The fourth gens tried to get away but to no avail. Maybe some new tires, less camber, back to a familiar front brake compound and Orange will be fast again.

Bryan, did that rub it in enough that you missed a great event you would have finished behind the 39 and 55 at?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!