Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Too Much Torque, Now What?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    You can't win a race with 250hp, but you can win a race with 300tq. I'd rather be under than over on torque. I don't see how the rule change proposed would favor an LT1 the least little bit. The car came with the underdrive and I hate to take it off because I'm sure it helps the alternator and PS pump to live longer. On the other hand, it's free and easy to do. Car needed a belt anyway.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    All the tuning in the world will not get a stock 4.6 (281 cu. in.) to 260/310. Unlike other engines the 4.6 two valve does not gain much unless you make other changes. There are a few cars that pull the 55 (the 39 did at MSRH but not all that bad and I think he is right on the numbers) but I think we are as close as we have ever been. I have the last four years dyno graphs and I think Kevin and Michael do also. I have no issue is you all want to put them all on one graph and see what we have. Kevin's 4.6 without long tubes makes more torque but less HP. The best we have ever pulled in the 55 is 259/298 and I don't feel at a disadvantage. This year we only pulled 255/289 but the car still felt strong.

JJ
    How do you guys get to 260, I was searching all over the interwebs and the most HP with all of the 2v boltons seemed to be mid 240's, do you have to bump compression?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Hmm-last LT1 dyno I saw was pretty perfect numbers. I also have a spreadsheet from an LT1 dyno and it made more power at 3,000 than 2,000. Of course the LT1 makes more hp and tq than the LS1, and the 5.3 on the spreadsheet I have across the board. I'm sure the Fords I see making 280 tq are saying cry me a river.

It will be pretty disappointing to change the rules when so many others have made the numbers only to try and give a particular motor the "perfect number". What about my little LS1 that only makes 292 tq? It requires such a small plate to knock down the hp that it kills the torque-it's just part of it. So it's kind of tough to see complaints when a motor is over on both tq and hp. If the rules are changed then they should allow tuning so I can get a perfect number with my car.

I think Glenn is correct on the lash and exhaust can have an impact. I believe you would want a bigger exhaust to cut down torque and the byproduct is likely going to be more hp. Yeah I don't see the need for the pulley when you are over now.
    Well I think the 5.3 L is as close to perfect as you can get. :-)
    image.jpg

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    How do you guys get to 260, I was searching all over the interwebs and the most HP with all of the 2v boltons seemed to be mid 240's, do you have to bump compression?
    My car has long tubes and a timing adjuster. Changing the timing from stock 10 to 14 brings the power up. That is why I say the tune will not do much if anything. Timing has already been changed. The timing adjuster gave me 6 HP and 15 Tq.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...5mmff-boltons/

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 02-01-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    My car has long tubes and a timing adjuster. Changing the timing from stock 10 to 14 brings the power up. That is why I say the tune will not do much if anything. Timing has already been changed. The timing adjuster gave me 6 HP and 15 Tq.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-t...5mmff-boltons/

JJ
    What if you mixed in some race gas and tried more timing?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    What if you mixed in some race gas and tried more timing?
    Not worth it. I just need to make sure I get 93 every time.

JJ

As much as that Steeda timing adjust helped you, the MSD opti would help me as well. Bolt on and go. Sometimes I wish our rules were more lax. Or that I sucked more at building motors.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    If you want tq out of the 4.6 you need higher compression. Race gas boosts power a good chunk too. Just gets expensive.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Seems to me it's a drop in the bucket when you factor in registration fees, tow pig gas, and maintenance/upkeep. I can say if I were short on power, I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Never been on this side of the fence before.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    The most my 4.6 ever made was 267/308. That was with a stock 96 short block (-11cc dish pistons) with PI heads/intake and stock manifolds. That motor also only lasted 2 weekends before I started popping ringlands.

Current motor makes 254/302 with what is basically an 01-04 short block (-16cc dish pistons). For reference, here were the piston's that came in the 96-04 4.6's:
    - 96 to 98 - 11cc dish
    - 99 to 01 - 17.5cc
    - 01 to 04 - 16cc

You'll make the most power with a 96-98 short block, but you'll pop the motor pretty quick unless you run race gas.
    Last edited by blk96gt; 02-02-2016 at 10:58 AM.