Thread: Battery Recommendation

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries

Battery Recommendation

I need to replace the battery. So it has to be a normal size and normal weight battery for CMC. Safety is first priority, then performance, longevity, price. Battery has been relocated and setup is for a sidepost. Anyone have any suggestions? Optima, XS, Deka, autozone...
    I have run an red top optima and now know that our alternators don't really charge them up enough. Plus my old battery charger wouldn't charge them up correctly either.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

I got 10 years out of my Walmart special.

What defines "normal" size and weight? If it has a Group # that's normal. Optima sells a yellow top battery that isn't exactly light but it's an AGM and cranks the car just fine. I just put one in my mustang and got it at summit with free shipping. Also has no future disposal fee for the lead that I am aware of. $169 delivered to my door. I put one in misty's Camaro too. Requires no battery box either, just cover the terminals.

Go to summit, search by brand, Optima, yellow top, 450 CCA, cheapest batt. click buy. tell director to KYA because it weighs the same as a regular battery and is safer than lead acid. Buy correct battery charger....install resistor in field circuit and your alternator will charge correctly.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Rob that doesn't have one with side posts which is my current setup.

MFW-has to be the normal group size as factory. Meaning I can't put a tractor battery that weighs 120 pounds in the car. But really just needs to be any normal size/weight battery so the optima's work. Autozone buys batterys now for like $10 so don't have to worry about disposal fees.
    Car has a volt meter, bulb, and I guess resistor but need to check-it charges just fine.

I'm getting a group 75 from Battery's Plus that has side terminals-it's a AGM battery that is a rebadged Deka Intimidator so made in USA.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Thanks. Rob that doesn't have one with side posts which is my current setup.

MFW-has to be the normal group size as factory. Meaning I can't put a tractor battery that weighs 120 pounds in the car. But really just needs to be any normal size/weight battery so the optima's work. Autozone buys batterys now for like $10 so don't have to worry about disposal fees.
    Car has a volt meter, bulb, and I guess resistor but need to check-it charges just fine.

I'm getting a group 75 from Battery's Plus that has side terminals-it's a AGM battery that is a rebadged Deka Intimidator so made in USA.
    It's inside a battery box and there is no tear down rule and I doubt 3 lbs is a vast performance advantage. Take the fix it ticket and flip the middle finger on the the hand with five fingers. Next.
    Ah, fugg it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    It's inside a battery box and there is no tear down rule and I doubt 3 lbs is a vast performance advantage. Take the fix it ticket and flip the middle finger on the the hand with five fingers. Next.
    Dude, there are like a million group 75 AGM batteries out there.

For someone like Bryan that has to ballast, running a legal, heavier AGM group 75 is advantageous.

I'm on my second optima red top, got it replaced under warranty after it stopped holding a charge. Will replace with a proper agm when it pops again.