Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MyLaps / AMB Transponder Subscription

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    So the timing folks knowledge of subscriptions would only be as accurate as the last time they sync'd up? It seems unrealistic to require internet access to run a race, but then again I shouldn't underestimate their greed. Must be nice to be the only show in town.
    I'm not sure I would go that far. I am happy to be here. Going off on a tangent, I have been told by an industry insider that our tires are manufactured at a big loss for the tire company. The contingency money is pretty good though......

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    The way I understand it is that I can use my TranX 262 without a subscription for it's or my lifetime but I can't transfer it to another. I would check with My Laps before buying one off of ebay, it might be worthless or have a low trade in value. I am not sure how timing and scoring works, is it a closed system between the timing loop and laptop, or are the xponder pings processed online through
    My Laps? The OG Racing site still lists the discontinued 262 with an explanation of the change.
    Well that is pretty sorry. Wouldn't it be nice for all companies not to allow their items to be sold to a second, third owner. So now it's basically $100 a year to have track times. When I bought Wayne's car I was able to move that transponder number over to my username.

I'm sure they aren't making money on our race tires with the contingency but have no clue as to how many RR's they sell in a given year. But I would be surprised if they actually lose money across the board on race tires. How can Hoosier do it.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Well that is pretty sorry. Wouldn't it be nice for all companies not to allow their items to be sold to a second, third owner. So now it's basically $100 a year to have track times. When I bought Wayne's car I was able to move that transponder number over to my username.

I'm sure they aren't making money on our race tires with the contingency but have no clue as to how many RR's they sell in a given year. But I would be surprised if they actually lose money across the board on race tires. How can Hoosier do it.
    Hoosier sells a heck of a lot more dirt tires than road tires, I would bet. The tire manufacturer is supporting us so we can represent them.

Regarding the xponders, I am not sure what to think. When we buy a software program or laptop, is it good forever? If so, Excel 95 is all I will ever need, no further programming necessary.

I only posted because I thought the xponders on ebay might be worthless, and if the sellers know that, it is more than sorry.
    Last edited by dtanker65; 02-22-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    When we buy a software program or laptop, is it good forever? If so, Excel 95 is all I will ever need, no further programming necessary.
    Potentially, yes. It becomes a trade off in giving up future enhancements. If you decide you don't need/want them and you're perfectly happy. I am perfectly comfortable that my current transponder apparently only generates lap times; fine by me.

I just balk at forced obsolescence.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Potentially, yes. It becomes a trade off in giving up future enhancements. If you decide you don't need/want them and you're perfectly happy. I am perfectly comfortable that my current transponder apparently only generates lap times; fine by me.

I just balk at forced obsolescence.
    Ding Ding Ding. I agree.

JJ

Blog Entries
    "If you like your transponder, you can keep it!"

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    "If you like your transponder, you can keep it!"
    I think I have heard that before.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Ding Ding Ding. I agree.

JJ
    Agreed but I'll go one step further. What if you couldn't sell your Ford Mustang because of it's operating system by Microsoft suddenly decided that they are only going to do subscription agreements on a new car. Obviously I don't like it with AMB and it's a monopoly system. Same thing the domestic automakers did making cars with planned obsolescense and then all of the sudden the honda/toyotas show up which made them scramble to build cars that wouldn't just fall completely apart by 100k miles. Funny thing is now we are all racing those cars now!
    So the question will be when will a company come along to compete as it is certainly behind all the other company's data systems it was just the first to do the lap timing. I mean their website has only been one notch above healthcare.gov for a long time.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Agreed but I'll go one step further. What if you couldn't sell your Ford Mustang because of it's operating system by Microsoft suddenly decided that they are only going to do subscription agreements on a new car. Obviously I don't like it with AMB and it's a monopoly system. Same thing the domestic automakers did making cars with planned obsolescense and then all of the sudden the honda/toyotas show up which made them scramble to build cars that wouldn't just fall completely apart by 100k miles. Funny thing is now we are all racing those cars now!
    So the question will be when will a company come along to compete as it is certainly behind all the other company's data systems it was just the first to do the lap timing. I mean their website has only been one notch above healthcare.gov for a long time.
    I had to sh*t can the Ford operating system because all of the circuits are fed into a proprietary "smart junction box" and Pats security system black box. The Ford aftermarket offering is well engineered, we'll see how it does against the Nascar motor equipped cars. I like the reliability, but there really is nothing like a fire breathing pushrod V8 muscle car.
    I am sure we will be able to resolve these complex macro-economic issues at the next Saturday evening post-race conference. I figured Pranav was pretty smart, but it is inspiring to hear from all of the philosophers in the Thunder group. I thought you guys were just wicked fast racecar drivers :-)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    One of the huge issues I have is cost creep. Be it cars or transponders, new is exponentially more expensive than old and I don't see that changing any time soon. Is that what my dad would have said when he was my age?