Thread: Mustang fuel tanks

Senior Member Carroll Shelby

Mustang fuel tanks

Is anyone running an aftermarket fuel tank in their fox/sn95 mustang? The baffle in the stock tank finally broke on mine and I just ordered a new one from latemodel resto, the baffle in the new tank looks pretty poor compared to the OEM design. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the aftermarket tank and how low you can run it w/o cutting out. Before my baffle let go I could run my tank down to 2 gals or so before it was an issue.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I run a replacement stock tank I got from O'Reilly. I have had it for probably 4-5 years and the baffle is still in place.
    The only issue I have is that when the tank gets down to about 1/2 way it cuts out in certain corners....usually right after a long right-hander. It has happened at TWS after the carousel but no where else on track.
    I don't know how this can happen if the baffle is still in place. I just run the car 100% full of fuel before every race.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I run a replacement stock tank I got from O'Reilly. I have had it for probably 4-5 years and the baffle is still in place.
    The only issue I have is that when the tank gets down to about 1/2 way it cuts out in certain corners....usually right after a long right-hander. It has happened at TWS after the carousel but no where else on track.
    I don't know how this can happen if the baffle is still in place. I just run the car 100% full of fuel before every race.
    Thanks for the info, the OEM baffle design is far superior to the aftermarket tank baffle. Of course the OE baffle is soldered to the tank which isn't very smart and leads to failure, but it's great until it breaks :-/
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Blog Entries
    What are y'alls thoughts on runny Holley Hydramat as a pickup rigged on to a stock fuel pump pickup?

I myself won't bother, I run a full tank and never really let it go down low, but something worth looking into if you're having to run low to meet weight.

Another option would be to add your own baffles to a new, clean tank.

I'm not too sure where the rules stand on these options, quick skim of the rulebook doesn't say anything about modifying the tank, but "any fuel pump and pickup" can be used as long as you use one pump and pickup.
    Last edited by Pranav; 06-03-2016 at 01:41 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I run a tank I purchased off Anazon and it will run down to 1/4 tank before starving for fuel.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I run a tank I purchased off Anazon and it will run down to 1/4 tank before starving for fuel.

Jerry
    Is your tank baffled or do you have a basket thing around the fuel pump?
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Is your tank baffled or do you have a basket thing around the fuel pump?
    I think both but it for sure has the basket.