Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frame shop in Houston?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Not knowing what else to do, I slotted the hell out of the UCA mount
    That's with the lower mounts slotted? Weird.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Maybe I should get a ratchet strap and pull my strut towers together.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    That's with the lower mounts slotted? Weird.
    Yep, if I slot the lowers any further there won't be anything left to bolt on, bizzare, I don't get it. Some things I will never figure out, I guess this car was meant for circle track.

Dropped the car off to fix body damage this morning, will be nice to have it out of sight for a few weeks.

[QUOTE=Pranav;75500]Yep, if I slot the lowers any further there won't be anything left to bolt on, bizzare, I don't get it. Some things I will never figure out, I guess this car was meant for circle track.

Sounds like the upper mount is out of whack. I asked my body guy in Dallas, but he didn't have a recommendation for a Houston area frame shop. The new frame machines are pretty amazing. You probably need to have it put on the frame machine and have it tweaked. Being a race car, the frame shop won't have much liability exposure so you might ask if they can adjust both sides to give you the camber adjustment range you need. Set it up the same as Alamo Mike and if you go slower than you did before, you will know it is the driver :-)
    Last edited by dtanker65; 07-19-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    The Silver Camaro didn't have enough negative camber on either side after we slotted the lower mounts and moved the upper arm mounts as much as we could. We tweaked the uprights in the 20 ton press...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    That settles it... Orange must just have "race adjusted" uprights.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
    The Silver Camaro didn't have enough negative camber on either side after we slotted the lower mounts and moved the upper arm mounts as much as we could. We tweaked the uprights in the 20 ton press...

Richard P.
    I did that on my first car, a Honda.

If you guys want, Sean Richardson has my passenger spindle that I bent at the last race, it is good for -4* at least.

Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    Yep, if I slot the lowers any further there won't be anything left to bolt on, bizzare, I don't get it. Some things I will never figure out, I guess this car was meant for circle track.

Sounds like the upper mount is out of whack. I asked my body guy in Dallas, but he didn't have a recommendation for a Houston area frame shop. The new frame machines are pretty amazing. You probably need to have it put on the frame machine and have it tweaked. Being a race car, the frame shop won't have much liability exposure so you might ask if they can adjust both sides to give you the camber adjustment range you need. Set it up the same as Alamo Mike and if you go slower than you did before, you will know it is the driver :-)
    Dennis, you may have missed my previous post in this thread, the car spent a week on the frame rack. They found that the shock towers are already in all the way and past the spec. The correct action would've been to pull them out to meet spec, which would make the camber situation worse. It really does seem like something is out of whack with the upper mount, but if I pull it in any further it will collide with the master cylinder.

I also realized that long before last year's shunt, I had it on an alignment rack and it read -3.3 pass, -2.3 driver's with both LCA's maxed out, just a slightly different ride height, so the car has been off center since the start.

For now I'm satisfied with slotting the UCA pivot point. If a future shunt causes me to lose more camber, I have a good handle on what would be bent...
    Last edited by Pranav; 07-19-2016 at 01:54 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    The lower control arm mounts on the other car have been cracked multiple times. It realistically gets a little bit wider every time we weld up the gap.

Proctor's old car had plenty of negative camber when we first checked it. It wasn't even adjusted all the way out. Found a huge crack/gap in the mounts that had to be welded up...

Richard P.

Beats me Pranav. I would try to find a chassis reference diagram, level the uni-body on jacks and measure the reference points, something is out. I have a laser level if you need it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I'm nearly over-adjusted now. I can barely take the camber out of the right side. Car drives straight and feels good though. If it gets any worse, I'll be hogging out the UCAs for positive camber. My issue last year post-Hallett with the car having a slight pull turned out being cross-KPA, i.e. a bent knuckle/knuckles since they didn't match when I bought the car anyway. Some day I'll hit a frame rack to see where the car's at, but I usually prioritize things like brakes and self-contained power steering racks over such luxuries vs. missing a race to have a straight car only to get it tweaked again. Mine's been on the track since 2004, so I kinda cringe at the stuff they're gonna find.