Thread: Wiring Help - Relays

Threaded View

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Wiring Help - Relays

Wiring up some lights in the truck bed (LEDs) and under the rear bumper (aka back up lights).
    The LED bed light kit came with a prewired switch that attaches to the bedside and straight forward instructions: Connect one pair of labeled wires to the other sides lights, connect other pair of labeled wires to power/ground.

I want to use the one switch to turn on the LEDS and the rear lights. Don't know what the switch is capable of, nor wanted to wire everything inline, so threw in a dual 87 relay and wired them us as shown. The LED kit had some heat shrink sheething that hides a bit of the wiring, but fairly certain it isn't a big mystery. Power to switch, switch to strip A, strip A to strip B, back to A, back to switch, switch to ground.

Note: Not trying to use the rear lights as back up lights, just as rear facing lights.

I may have the 85 and 86 hooked up opposite than shown.

LED's come on with the switch, rear lights do not. Changed out the relay, same result. The relay isn't switching.

What am I doing wrong?

*edit* I know normally the switch is before the relay, but it should still work after the relay. The LEDs are the variable, but I figured they draw so little current, it shouldn't make much of a difference. Or is that exactly my problem, that the LEDs don't pull ENOUGH current to close the switch?
    Last edited by Alien; 07-17-2016 at 10:31 PM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"