Thread: The state of CMC

Junior Member Rookie

The state of CMC

Hello all,

I'm new to your forum and I have check it out some but would like more information. The reason for my post is quite simply to find out what the current state of CMC is, and what the future looks like.

I found out about the CMC series a few months ago and it looks like something that I would like to do. Before I spend a bunch of money on a new project I would like to get some additional information.

On average how many entries do you have at each race?

Is the series still growing, or have you seen a decline in the number of competitors?

Is the series still competitive?

Can a new person come in and be competitive, or is this series geared more to those who have doing this for years and spent big dollars (I realize big dollar is a subjective term) to be at or near the top?

Please elaborate on the state of the series and add any commentary that you feel would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Robert

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Robert! You have come to the right group and place to find out if this is something you want to do and meet everyone. First to answer you questions.
    We are usually in the mid teens for CMC entries but it can depend on the event and date for instance at Hallett we can have over 20 entries. We run in the Thunder group which includes American Iron AI and Spec Iron SI. CMC is strong in Texas and extremely competitive. Meaning if you can win here you can win anywhere. I think we are growing a little and not worried that it's going to disappear. Being competitive is certainly possible as we have had new people come in that are able to quickly become a front runner though they generally have had past experience. What's great is there is a place for everyone to run. So we have the trophy girls at the front, the mid pack slackers, and the less speedy. Unless you are way of pace you will find yourself in a race next to someone rather than simply doing a DE by yourself. It may take you a weekend to get to that point or several years but it doesn't matter. The first thing that attracted me to this class was the limits in place on mods to keep the cars even and not allow a person to win just by spending more money.
    Though what will hear and find is that the best reason is the group that you get to race with and the enjoyment that should have off track if you want. You won't find a group having more fun and more willing to help out a fellow racer in anyway possible. The best thing for you to do would be to come spend the weekend at our race in October at TWS. Come hang out in the middle garage and introduce yourself to the racers, look over the cars, ask questions, etc. Maybe we could get you a ride in a car with someone who has a passenger seat and you will either be hooked or it will make you poop your pants.

Do you have any track experience? Do you have a car that could go on track for a DE weekend? If you have a car to take on track then sign up and run a DE with us. (drivers education/experience)

I'll also go ahead and tell you that doing this is addictive.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Just ask about the Summer Shootout at Hallett and Midnight Ribs
    at the #15 Stormtrooper and #39 Orange is Fast car port.
    And I've heard there is some racing too.
    --
    ------__o
    -----_\ <,_
    ----(_)/ (_)
    Laissez les bons temps rouler

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I would tend to disagree about the speed at which the color orange travels. I would say questioning whether or not CMC TX is a good class to commit to is a silly question to ask, please refer to all of the above.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111
    I would tend to disagree about the speed at which the color orange travels.
    Don't listen to the red/yellow McD car, he just doesn't get enough oxygen up there in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGT5oh
    Can a new person come in and be competitive, or is this series geared more to those who have doing this for years and spent big dollars (I realize big dollar is a subjective term) to be at or near the top?
    Guessing you're a mustang guy... we have fast Fox and SN-95 cars, we have fast 3rd and 4th Camaros. To some degree a bigger tire budget will keep you higher up "the list." Rules are really close to where they need to be - except you'll hear some conversation about tweaks that could/should/would be made *cough*foxbodytoolight/4thgentooheavy*cough*

It's not about cubic dollars - it's about reliability and consistent preparation of the car, driver development and sportsmanship. We race hard and the group would rather beat you on track than have you broken in the paddock.

Experience has shown that this group, and the way it competes is not for everybody. We had someone at our June race, who didn't understand the format of qual-standing/invert-rolling/invert-rolling/qual-standing express great distaste and I think left. We've had folks give it a year or so and find the inverts and close/aggressive racing not to their liking.

Best advice I can give is what I did when I started - come meet the group, look at and take pictures of cars (please ask before you take any pictures out of courtesy), watch the racing, watch the year end videos...

Houston race is Labor Day weekend - Sept. 3-4
    TWS is closer to you (might be the last, last-last, last race ever) Oct. 14-16

Come on out. And don't listen to that Super111 dude... he drives a Corvette.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I may be willing to part with my 95 Camaro CMC car.
    Get with me if interested.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Don't listen to the red/yellow McD car, he just doesn't get enough oxygen up there in CO.

Come on out. And don't listen to that Super111 dude... he drives a Corvette.
    A hailproof Corvette. Seriously, if you ask the Ford dealer how awesome the new whatever is, they'll tell you it's totally awesome and nothing can compare when in fact that's just not the case. Such is orange.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Robert, I'm a rookie this season and new to the CMC group and NASA overall (previous DE champion, auto-crosser, and reasonably successful in Chumpcar/WRL Enduro) . Happy to offer my experiences, overall extremely positive with the CMC series and club racing experience so far. Feel free to PM me.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    CMC in Texas is very strong, stronger than anywhere else in the country as far as I know. Amazing group of folks in CMC, excellent racing too.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net