Thread: Hopefully a new future CMC Camaro

Junior Member Rookie

Hopefully a new future CMC Camaro

I was lucky enough to stumble upon this nearly bone stock one owner Z28. She's got a lot of miles, but I think it's a perfect candidate for a race car.

My plan is to make a couple of track days by the end of the year at Hallett and MSR-Cresson. I probably won't be able to make a NASA event until next year, but I plan on doing as many HPDE's as I can. I'll use this winter to prepare the car for some serious track time next year (brakes, suspension, cooling, better drivers seat, etc.) I'm looking for any advice you experienced CMCers are willing to share.

Thanks in advance.

File_000.jpg

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Welcome to the group!
    What's your name so we can put a name with the car??
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Whoop!

And where are you? Is that Sweetie Pie's in the background?

Search around here and frrax for general prep setup stuff.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Love it, keep that ls1 overfilled on the track so you don't lose a motor, i would get it to cmc spec even for your track days, toyo RR's, get the power down with a restrictor, etc. That way you can gauge where you are at vs the CMC field.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    Love it, keep that ls1 overfilled on the track so you don't lose a motor, i would get it to cmc spec even for your track days, toyo RR's, get the power down with a restrictor, etc. That way you can gauge where you are at vs the CMC field.
    Tyler has got it right on this. My years in DE driving a Lightning and C6 did almost nothing to get me ready for CMC (some would say I'm still not ready but who the Hell cares what BL says).

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    Tyler has got it right on this. My years in DE driving a Lightning and C6 did almost nothing to get me ready for CMC (some would say I'm still not ready but who the Hell cares what BL says).

JJ
    Is that the 55 calling???? Dang, I'll be ready to get back on track and see you turds at TWS.

I thought it was Sweetie Pies as well-miss that too! Kids were asking this week when they are going to the race track for Halloween and stay at the hotel.

I'll agree with both above. Quart over and check it every session-might burn off a quart every session. I wouldn't use Mob 1 either-I use Motul and recommend it. Get with me for a restrictor or follow Seans and use one in the exhaust which I want to try. Gut it and get it mechanically sound. Ask away with questions. I'll write out a list of my suggestions next week or shoot me your number.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Junior Member Rookie
    Sorry, I guess I should have filled out my profile information. Name's Ryan Steffee and I just moved to Granbury. Most of my experience involves track days in a FWD car. I guess you could call Hallett my home track (I'm originally from Oklahoma) because I have been on it the most. I've also been on Eagles Canyon and MSR-Cresson as well. My dad still races in the local Hallett series (COMMA), so I guess you could say it's in my blood.

I have been to a couple of NASA events as a spectator(Eagles Canyon and MSR-Cresson) over the past few years, but I didn't really talk to anyone. Originally, I was thinking about getting into 944Spec, but after attending a race it was clear to see which class had the best turnout. I've been wanting to get into racing for a long time and I don't just to turn laps, I want to race! CMC was obviously the best choice for anyone wanting to get into W2W racing because I know I'll never fit into a wreck miata.

Thanks for the tips and definitely keep them coming. My plan was to make sure any modifications I do to the car are compliant with the CMC rules.