Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Watkins Glen

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Will has been in charge of some of them.
    Hmm
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

We've been to many big events over the years . The two 25 Hour of Thunderhill by NASA rank among the best. The NASA East Coast Nationals are at the bottom. I don't know who was running it this year, but it was worse than Road Atlanta in 2014. There feeling of a big event was missing. The Nationals feel more like an over sized club race and the organnizers were not prepared.

The two best parts were registration/checkin and the grid organization.

The track and the facility was by far better than anything in Texas including COTA. Terrible food though.

That guy in the Vette had to sit through two classes of cars coming by him while he sat there defenseless. During the first race the leaders of the SU class actually caught up to the back of the NP01's before they took the flag, this was with pace cars leading each class. The Friday race AI were started with a disabled car some where between turn 1 and 2 with the green and
    they threw the flag before all the cars had exited turn 11.

If next years race is going to be at Sebring like the rumor says NASA really need to pick up there game.

Thats just my opinion
    Last edited by JMR81; 09-30-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suck fumes View Post
    then maybe SCCA is a better run event?
    What kind of class with SCCA? I have an interest in Spec E46 but don't know if they do that in SCCA or maybe the BMW clubs.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    The bmw's would be an IT class car. ITA, ITB, ITC. You pick how prepped you want the car.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    What kind of class with SCCA? I have an interest in Spec E46 but don't know if they do that in SCCA or maybe the BMW clubs.
    Bryan, the best way to put this having discussed the differences with a LONG TIME SCCA racer is this. NASA has a rule book that is used as guidelines and can be overruled by a single director that may be a different interpretation at any given event at any time for the exact same situation and events are more for fun than serious racing.

SCCA is serious club racing with a set of rules that cannot be interpreted. Protests are handled by a committee with rules for handling themselves....and you could be asked to take your car home in a series of boxes to prove your legality because it is a serious race.

Compare and contrast as you like but that is the two organizations in a nutshell. You expect to get screwed by the SCCA because you live and die by the rules. You get screwed by NASA because you expect the rules to be enforced and then they aren't because it's ok cause we're ok. Either way you're screwed. LOL! Only way to have fun is just go have fun and piss on the rule book after drinking a 12 pack.

Edit: ANOTHER way to go have fun is buy a car that can run with CVAR and just go have fun with a bunch of old guys enjoying old cars making loud noises!
    Last edited by AI#97; 09-30-2016 at 04:51 PM.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post

The track and the facility was by far better than anything in Texas including COTA.

I'm no fan of COTA as far as management is concerned but I can't see how Watkins Glen can have a better track?

JJ

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I'm no fan of COTA as far as management is concerned but I can't see how Watkins Glen can have a better track?

JJ
    Scenery, elevation change and staff! You MUST do Road America too! Misty and I were only spectators but I MUST find a way to go back with a car. You need to do Mid-Ohio as well....and Atlanta Motorsports Park, and New Jersey Motorsports Park....and.....so many others! COTA has it's high points, but there are tracks all over that just have character sort of like Hallett that just....get ya.
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AI#97 View Post
    Edit: ANOTHER way to go have fun is buy a car that can run with CVAR and just go have fun with a bunch of old guys enjoying old cars making loud noises!
    I wonder if CVAR would be interested in taking CMC under their wing?
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Liebbe View Post
    I wonder if CVAR would be interested in taking CMC under their wing?
    Can we go back to 230hp and some cheap/hard/long-lasting tires?
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Can we go back to 230hp and some cheap/hard/long-lasting tires?
    I'm ready. Where do we sign?

JJ