Thread: Current State of Tires

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar

Current State of Tires

Since I'm not a trophy girl and rarely even get the car out, I'm curious about the current state of tire choices.

Are the RR's all they are cracked up to be? Can they survive long periods of storage?

Can you still get the RA1 and how are they these days. I'm still longing for the days where they last forever and were thin-to-win tires.

Anything from Nitto (NT01 used to be as good as the older RA1's) that is good for mixed used/track day events?

I probably have enough left in my one set of RR's and a set of RA1's to make it running in the back of the pack at TWS but wonder what would work next.

Rob-Who?-Liebbe
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    A lot of HPDE 350/370z guys have been running the Maxxis RC1 with good success. 25-30 heat cycles with minimal drop off for lap times. I've been debating on getting a set for DE's.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    I think you should try RA1's, to be fair get them shaved to 4/32, I bet they still last longer than the RR's and you will still be eligible for contingency. I think Glenn still holds the MSRC record on RA1's.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    For this next event, I have a thin set of RA1's and a thin set of RR's. I guess it will "look like rain" at least one day.
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I feel like the RR's "wear" better than the current RA1's but I do think they heat cycle out quicker. I run the RR's for 3 events and the first 2 events always feel good but the 3rd event feels like crap.
    I think I had a magical set of RR's back a few years ago because I was able to set the track record at ECR on something around heat cycle 22. Since then the higher heat cycle tires have felt like junk.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region