Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2016 TWS - Pics, Video, and Musings

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar

October 2016 TWS - Pics, Video, and Musings

Well, the second annual "Last Ever" TWS event has come and gone.

Big fields, good friends, and great racing. AND we, rather you, kept it all super clean all weekend.

The too frequent mustang motor carnage continued unabated - I guess we'll have to relent and allow the awesome LS motor for everything. Add in some splitter/bumber/radiator, some 5th gear woes, brake lines, power steering fluid, leaky tires, etc. just to round out the fun.

Speaking of the LS motor, that 15 car pulls all day long. I think we changed something every round trying to get that stupid thing solidly under 2:00, but to no avail - on lap time that is. As many of you confessed, it was certainly more racy - and obvious that Sean wasn't driving. Thanks to everybody that put in $0.02 to $2.00 to help us work on getting the car better.

On the other hand, the 39 looked good out there. Now I just have to make sure Sean stays in a third gen. Rounding out Team OIF, Paul had a mostly uneventful weekend including (if I remember correctly) a 2:07 on street tires.

Public apologies to Stuart for the contact and spin that I caused in R2. He was being swarmed by CMC cars going into 4 and I made the incorrect conclusion(s) that 1) He knew there was a car on his left, 2) he was going to hold his line middle-ish of track, 3) he knew I was on his right. He chose - with every right to do so - to drive down to the apex and I couldn't get out of the way, causing contact to this right rear wheel which spun him. He was very gracias and I certainly appreciate it.

And for those that missed it - Pip won the Bathurst sweeps taking home a little lunch money for her troubles. Well, I think she did. The handwriting was HORRIBLE... but since I held the hat and the money and know that name was actually drawn, and not first, I fell pretty good about. Good enough not to protest although absent HORRIBLE officiating call (racers will be racers) I would have won.

On a side note - if you found the GoPro we lost, that we found at MSRH, that somebody lost... I guess keep the camera but could we get the memory card back. As a bonus, there's a copy of part of the 2015 Year In Review on it.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to ALL who lent a hand changing #34's 5th gear synchro on Saturday evening. It still acted up, but I learned alot and annoyed my dinner date(s). ; I also should have some great GoPro footage of the whole field passing me on the front straight in R4 as I fiddled with the shifter; editing/posting to come at a later date.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    I also should have some great GoPro footage of the whole field passing me on the front straight in R4 as I fiddled with the shifter
    Huh, me too.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I had a great weekend and thankfully the new diff/axle package held up better than MSR-H. I did have a few issues with blown front struts (guess I shouldn't have gone 4 years without having them serviced), and a power steering hose that rubbed on the body and spewed fluid everywhere.

Thanks to John Martin for having a spare line available.

I ran my car on Saturday and Michael's on Sunday. Had a lot of fun in the back of the CMC field! It's crazy how much more "on edge" a CMC has to be driven...

On the flip side of Michael driving my car... he's addicted to aero. Lol
    Last edited by marshall_mosty; 10-18-2016 at 07:53 AM.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Grass-Passer jdlingle's Avatar
    Had a blast getting back out there with everyone after way too long away. I finally felt like I was starting to knock some of the rust off in the final race so that was a positive. 4 years is WAY too long between events!
    2011- Texas Region CMC2 Rookie of the Year.
    2012- Broke with no car.
    2013- Author- Hard Luck Lloyd: The Complete Story of Slow-Talking, Fast-Driving Texan Lloyd Ruby

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Had a great time, some of the best racing of my life with Mi. Mosty, Jander and McCormick. Looking forward to 2017. Thanks to everyone for making CMC/AI the best NASA group to be involved with, period.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Whew! What an awesome weekend!! So glad to be back on track with you guys again.

Worked through some bugs on Friday and only messed with alignment, tire pressures and fuel the rest of the weekend. That's a success in it's own right. The racing was fantastic.. knocked the cobwebs off the car and renewed my Mid-Pack Slacker membership Saturday, even scared some of the Trophy Queens into running AI Sunday.

Here's some R4 action - https://vimeo.com/187883642
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Never start a letter with I-but I had a GREAT week/weekend. Scheduled a doc visit for skin cancer while picking up the trailer and got the all clear which I was worried about the deal he froze off my face. Work event was postponed Thursday night so I headed down for practice. Friday was the nicest day with some cool weather and good times. Enjoyed singing to Jerry and the old cars on Bathurst was cool.
    Car ran perfect all weekend-pretty normal. Driver wasn't perfect which is also normal. While I like to think I'm still a Slacker it seems lots are moving up and putting me in the less speedy crowd-meaning Crumpacker can shove it thinking he is a slacker getting on the podium and running 58's all weekend-but I still love you Sam and glad you were on track with us. I did get a 59 but there isn't really any less speedy guys I think when the whole field of 17 is running 02 or better. Dad gum rookies come in and are immediately right on my butt. Field of 17 with two other guys completing comp school for next year means next year looks good-even AI has some good fields.

R1-was my favorite race of the weekend and had a lot of fun running in a good pack. R2 was interesting as I was trying to figure out what was flapping on Al's car-who did you hit this time or was it your vinyl? Did you hit Craig as he made a last second move to pull into the pits. Well Al's fender finally broke off at the end of the straight. Next lap around Francis hit it like you would aim at a cat in the road and broke it into more pieces. I did a lot of racing with Francis and finally made a pass only to miss freaking 4th gear after 6. Several solid middle class non toyo collecting finishes were expected but disappointed in letting basically everyone pass me on the inverts either on the straight in Turn 1 in R4 and 5-6 in R2. Sat night was such a good time starting the evening early in the afternoon. I love the lighted garages for hanging out and then the later crowd for V8 Supercars but I didn't stay up for the drama or the SWEEP-congrats Pip- well deserved.

The Mustang is Dead. Long Live the Mustang!

Cody-you sure can't trash talk but you are a good egg to have at the track. Don't say we don't give you any hospitality with a garage spot and no manties. You and Randy need to try and make more of our events if possible.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Crumpacker View Post
    Rotflmao