Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: October 2016 TWS - Pics, Video, and Musings

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post

May need to do some AIX "fun runs" in 17.
    Don't we all?!

As for the speed of A car...relate it to the seat time and chassis development of said driver/team. If you aren't going through tires, gas, time and track days, you aren't going to magically be running up front. As for the 4th gen guys, I said it friday night. SHOCKS! You guys are on a REAL tire now so start playing with spring and shock combos as well as tire pressures/temps. Those guys running at the front are doing it for a reason. Follow their methods and you might be matching their lead!
    Ah, fugg it.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Everyone also needs to look at what those are doing up front. I believe (Craig, correct me if I'm wrong), but the podium 'Stangs are on fresh sticker rubber every Saturday morning, with those fresh tires only making it to Practice of the following event...

How "fresh" are the tires the 4th gen crew of cars are using.

I know CMC should be a budget series, but as long as those with the ability and desire to run fresh rubber each weekend, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight if you think a 10+ heat cycle tire will be able to get you on the podium.

Just my 0.02.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Time to change tires then.
    We have some many rules in place that are there for no other reason that to stop folks from spending. Why are tire not that way.

I want 2005 CMC back.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    Time to change tires then.
    We have some many rules in place that are there for no other reason that to stop folks from spending. Why are tire not that way.

I want 2005 CMC back.
    Let's run ra1's, contingencies stay the same.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    I want 2005 CMC back.
    There were still issues back then. The rules were definitely against Fox Mustangs at that point. The track width was still governed by factory bodywork and all the Mustangs ran at the same weight. That put the narrow Fox Mustangs at a distinct disadvantage. Here is a thread I posted in 2007 requesting weight compensation for Foxes because of this issue:

http://www.aicmctexas.com/showthread...ight-reduction

Almost a decade later, Fox Mustangs have a weight advantage but don't have a track width disadvantage. There are some small technical differences between Fox and other Mustangs but I don't see any performance reason for the weight discrepancy???

Meanwhile, my efforts to have track width governed by a number rather than bodywork seems to have backfired (The doesn't mean that I think using a number is the wrong answer). Reducing the track width of F-bodies was one of the changes implemented in 2013 to help out the Mustangs. The Orange Camaro is now over 1.5" narrower than it was when the bodywork governed the track width...

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    How "fresh" are the tires the 4th gen crew of cars are using.
    Depends on the race. I like to tire up for Hallett.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70
    I want 2005 CMC back.
    Brake genie is out of the bottle. From a total/long-term cost perspective everybody seems to like the big brake value. I don't want to make the outlay. From a raceability perspective it seems to be an advantage in feel, fade, power, etc.

To me the opening question stands - are the rules currently "equitable" in the spirit/intent of CMC?

No, all my stuff is not for sale.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    This tire sounds like a complete debacle. No way in this series should you have to run new tires every race just to be competitive.
    Last edited by AllZWay; 10-24-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blk96gt View Post
    I didn't have position before the turn. It was my fault.
    Exactly right Kevin. If you don't have position at turn in and the leading driver goes toward the apex then you don't have a right to be there. Thanks for posting the video-I enjoy watching them and will see if I have any video from the weekend.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    My car is 1/4" over OEM track thanks to the rules. I dropped over an inch. At the same time, I had to add 50lbs. Not sure if the fox dropped weight or not aroumd the same time. I recall a 150lb swing - some taken from one and added to another.
    Cannot deny that the GM's are finishing worst now then the fords did when the rules shift started. At the time, Mosty's performance was all but ignored and the remaining field was used to justify the change. Now we are ignoring the whole GM field and wishing GM drivers who are not racing now were there to prove GM's are still competitive. Seems crazy.

Varner, Mosty did well in Fox back in the day.
    Burch and Wurtz did well in a 3rd gen back in the day.
    Landrum and Proctor did well in a 4th gen back in the day.
    Keep in mind one thing. If 1 driver of a single platform can get X performance out of the car, all cars of that platform are capable of the same. But we ignored that a few years back. Was adjustment needed? Possibly. Seems we did too much in the name of drawing in cars of a certain platform for the sole purpose balancing platform #'s and not the performane envelope.
    Correct Glenn. Weight was added and track width removed from the 4th Gen. Fox didn't drop any weight at the same time.

Back in 2012 it was evenly split as far as wins between Procter/Alford/Mosty when all showed up at the same race. But there was so much whining going on by the Mustangs it seemed like the directors just gave in so they wouldn't have to hear about it anymore.

Marshall-please don't blame the tires-it's so much easier to just blame the drivers.

I don't think the RA1 is the answer either as it isn't the same as the old RA1. I'm certainly in favor of a tire that would last all season and not fall off. Contingencies wouldn't matter if you only needed a set of tires for the whole season. We could all just fun run or go to one of the PT or ST classes with whatever tire we want.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mentioned this to Al...........
    Could there be a chance that the new tire does not suit a particular platform? Or suits another more? Perbaps we were on the right track with platform adjustments and assumed the tire change made in the middle of all that would affect all equally.