What tire would be an alternative? I would love to find a cheap practice tire. I have tried the Rivals looking for a long lasting practice tire. They disintegrated at the splice after five sessions on the smooth MSR surface. Tire Rack gave a full refund FWIW.

The RA1 as I understand is the same compound as the RR, but needs to be shaved to run in the dry to avoid chunking. I thought the RR is basically the equivalent of a shaved RA1?

Bill Ahga has a lot of experience with these tires, he uses them completely up before they get old, like I do. Now that I have the car square and drivie it properly, I can run the RR bald without cording. For my car the RR is good for 13 cycles before they get greasy. I am not noticeably faster on stickers versus 10 cycle tires, the car is more lively on old tires but still runs consistent on lap times.

I can't figure this out. Do the RR tires perform better for longer on a heavy car? I have been helped out by a couple of SCCA champions driving heavy cars on Hoosiers. They claim the Hoosier would be up to two seconds faster, but they would never even consider using 10 cycle tires. My only experience on Hoosiers is in a Miata and at 10 cycles they are worse than 200 utog street tires.

Any thoughts on cheaper tire alternatives that won't chunk on a heavy car.