Thread: F1

F1

Anyone going to COTA this weekend?

Senior Member Grass-Passer Alien's Avatar

Turn 12 bleachers for us.
    Last edited by Alien; 10-19-2016 at 03:55 PM.
    - Gary R.
    '86 Camaro Z28 "KNOCKER"

Looks like you're going to a Taylor Swift concert.

Been here for a few days as scrutineer. Best weekend all year.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Fernandez View Post
    Been here for a few days as scrutineer.
    You must regale the masses...
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Our own Robert Weston was in attendance there as opposed to getting his ass kicked by me here at Pueblo this weekend.
    RM CMC Director

regale? wtf I had to look that up
    The FIA sets up two scrutineers per team to be their eyes and ears. Then there are six to run the scales and tech garage. I was one of two "rovers" meaning I'm not assigned to any team or scales and instead float around to wherever there is action or to relieve whomever needs a break. I happened to be in the right place at the right time for a bit of drama too: while I was in the Manor garage watching over Wehrlein's car, it started spewing fuel out of one of the dry breaks. This was an hour before race cars go to grid, so the guys really had to scramble to figure it out and fix it. Three hours before cars on grid, Grosean's car had no floor, no front brakes, no rear suspension, and no bodywork. Watching those guys get everything together was cool. Also way cool was watching the F1 Historics race from within the Ferrari garage while chatting with a few of their mechanics. Since I get total access up and down the pit lane I decided to watch the start from pit wall right next to Nico. Then I wandered up and down pit lane based on cars pitting so I could watch the stops up close. The weekend ends with all cars going to tech where we weigh them and run a series of measurement pass/no pass tests using templates. All the cars are put on a block with casters so we can push them around. The FIA really cracked down on cameras this year so I didn't take the risk of losing this gig and only took one picture all weekend after we'd finished post race tech...all the cars neatly parked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Cool. That was similar to my experience at the WEC race. I really tried to honor the team and only take a couple pictures that the general public would have been able to get. When tech told the Audi #8 they wanted to see the fuel system... the entire, fuel system... they asked if they could do it in the garage with the door closed. There's more dollars in Deutsche connectors in an LMP1 car than the entire value of a CMC car.

If you ever get a chance to serve as a scruitineer, say yes.

Near the end of the race you might have to write up a 2nd place LMP1 car for coming in hot with the driver door open, not stopping, having too many people over the wall, and doing a burnout. While the sister car just lost all power on track... and then get the team manager to sign it.

PS: regale - "entertain or amuse (someone) with talk"
    Last edited by Fbody383; 10-27-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    If you ever get a chance to serve as a scruitineer, say yes.
    I did scruitneering for the TransAm series when they raced in Houston around the GRB convention center. Definitely cool stuff...

Josh and I were at the F1 race on Sunday. The difference in engine noise between now and when I last saw them was disappointing. The track walk after the race was interesting. Josh and I both played with the leftover tire chunks on the track. Very sticky and gooey stuff. It also cured and got much harder by the next morning. Nothing like the rubber that comes off RR's or RA1's. Also, the rubber that was laid down on the track was fascinating. The painted curbing without rubber buildup on it was very slick. The paint with rubber buildup was not. You almost couldn't slide your shoe across it.

Richard P.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    Al.. that sounds like a cool gig.