Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Mustang Challenge Review 2016/2015

Hybrid View

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    How many lt1 4th gens are able to actually make it below 3300 on the new scales NASA got a season or two ago?

I'm low 3300s but start each race on a full tank, have a cool suit, fire system, and maybe a few extra pounds in electrical than most. I'll have no problem making 3300 with the aluminum block next year, I'll have to ballast up.

Just curious if any lt1 4th gen is close to 3250.

Also why the heck did the 3rd gens also get the same weight minimum as the 4th gens? The weight balance, steering, camber curve, and aero are all worse. If anything I think they should get 50lbs less but that is just my humble opinion.

Right now im fighting to have one complete season on the same engine.
    Last edited by Pranav; 10-22-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    How many lt1 4th gens are able to actually make it below 3300 on the new scales NASA got a season or two ago?
    The #39 dynoed at 262/308ish - race weight it 3275. We shoot for 3290.

WITH 70lbs of BALLAST.

I have few to no issues with the scales - due to my bad math I was underweight at MSRH in the #15, we added ballast and came out within 5lbs of what we wanted/needed at TWS.

Quote Originally Posted by AI#97
    As has been stated, the Camaro dominated in the past. Sadly, those three drivers haven't raced in a while. If they had, I bet the mustang might not look so good.
    Under what ruleset with which tires?

At this point I will not claim we've done everything we could (i.e. spend more money than I currently want to) do to the #39. Fresh shocks are on the list; yes, they've been on the car since 2009. Cheap things we can look at over the winter - corner weights, bars, springs, maybe some track time.

I'm more than happy to share data with anyone that wants a copy.
    Last edited by Fbody383; 10-22-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

I generally scale 70# over weight post race. Nothing to do with the car....

Something to consider GM guys.... Loose is not fast despite what Ricky Bobby might say. I've not seen a Camaro that isn't...

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    I generally scale 70# over weight post race. Nothing to do with the car....

Something to consider GM guys.... Loose is not fast despite what Ricky Bobby might say. I've not seen a Camaro that isn't...
    Craig, I am still Amazed how you took you your car from what it was, and made it perform! Major Kudos!
    I have a lot to learn.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Loose is not fast indeed. My ideal setup is a smidge of understeer until I put down the skinny pedal. At least that's what I've told myself.
    RM CMC Director

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    Craig, I am still Amazed how you took you your car from what it was, and made it perform! Major Kudos!
    I have a lot to learn.
    Thanks Sean. Happy to help you any way I can

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I am not coming back anytime soon and I wasn't winning much in my last season. Don't remember for sure how many, but I think they may have all been inverts.

My personal feeling and with no data to back it up is at that the Mustangs have really picked up their game from a few years ago and now possibly the rule changes are working in their favor.

I also don't think there is much more that can be gained out of either platform at this point with the current rules.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllZWay View Post
    I am not coming back anytime soon
    We're still bummed by that. We would love it if you came out to watch and visit...

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    Loose is not fast despite what Ricky Bobby might say. I've not seen a Camaro that isn't...
    I agree with loose is not fast and Dan doesn't like a loose car. Both the Silver and the Red car suffered from oversteer when we got to TWS this past event and I'm not sure why? Neither were like that the last time we were there. The current softer setup seems to have balance changes not only with different tracks but different grip levels at the same tracks. We didn't have that with the older stiffer setup.

The silver car is running 800 lb/in front springs. The Orange car is at 750. Between the two cars, we have 200, 225, 250, and 275 rear springs available to balance those out with. That's in addition to the 1100/1000 front, 300 rear setup we were running on Orange previously. We also have multiple different front and rear sway bar (and no rear bar) setups available to tune balance. All spring and sway bar sizes in our stock have been tried on one car or another. We have gotten pretty fast at changing rear springs and sway bars at the track. We have mixed and matched bar and spring setups to try to balance the car while fighting with being able to put power down. The new car has also been more receptive to rear track width changes with the softer setup with other side effects that Chris never reported when we did track width testing on my car.

At TWS, the Red car took the smaller rear sway bar out of the trailer (along with some other changes) while the Silver car ended up swapping rear sway bars with another car after other changes weren't as effective as Dan would have liked. We ended up at yet another different rear sway bar size that was not yet in our toy box and the car worked much better.

Richard P.

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post

I'm low 3300s but start each race on a full tank, have a cool suit, fire system, and maybe a few extra pounds in electrical than most. I'll have no problem making 3300 with the aluminum block next year, I'll have to ballast up.

Just curious if any lt1 4th gen is close to 3250.

Proctor's old car could make weight pretty easy but fourth gen weight was a known problem back when it was built so it was a major driver in its construction with a minimum legal cage, etc. It currently running 10 lbs of ballast and a full tank to stay above its minimum weight of 3260.

Dan's car isn't minimalist in any way. It has a very nice and very safe cage. It also has a fuel cell, subframe connectors, etc. He is maxed out on horsepower for the chart in the rules and still struggles to meet his minimum weight of 3355. We also haven't gotten around to installing the fire system yet. Based on the incident at TWS, and the charred mess drooling multiple fluids onto the floor of our shop, I'm guessing Dan won't want to start the new season without that installed. The fire system will weigh a little bit more than the ballast we currently have. I'm guessing we might have a hard time getting to our minimum allowed weight without fuel starving. Also, Dan isn't the biggest guy and he doesn't run a cool suit. I would be way over if I drove it - I have a much bigger gut and I need a cool suit...

There is no desire or intent to go to an aluminum block LS engine for either of our cars.

Richard P.