Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Mustang Challenge Review 2016/2015

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    What about qual?
    "Data not available" Ok, I made that up, but it's not given at the timingscoring.drivenasa.com site.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

I scanned through the 201/2014/2015 results. Without knowing the cars' tire condition it feels (i.e. I don't have all the lap data, positions gained/loss, racing related issues, etc.) like it's slight mustang advantage that gets magnified at TWS, perhaps that's the weight break affecting accel/decal?

Oh, and you guys should just let me have R2 at Hallett.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fbody383 View Post
    Hallett 2014
    R1 Rahjes/Jordan/Mosty/Curtis
    R2 McCormick/Mosty/Francis/Rahjes
    R3 Crumpacker/Jordan/Curtis/Mozader
    R4 Curtis/Mosty/Rahjes/Francis/Fernandez - I'm pretty sure this was the mixed RA1/RR year.
    I think Curtis was the fastest car in CMC at Hallett in 2014.

JJ

I'm here offering 10+ years of chassis development experience from 10 times more track experience than ANYONE here on BOTH chassis
    Oh great AI#97, please shine down from the heavens upon us with your great knowledge of race car setup and driving technique. May we craft ourselves in your image of greatness. I can only hope to develop a level of humbleness and humility to rival your own. My Trumpisms and use of capitalization pale in comparison to your outstanding abilities, believe me!

what shocks are you running? What have you done with valving for both compression and rebound? Have you played with the nitrogen charge or can you due to your shock selection? What have you done with live tire temps? What do your wheels weigh? How consistent is your driver? Is your driver even hitting an apex? What are the corner weights within what you can do in CMC? Have the changes you have made actually made a difference in the car? Is the chassis flexing so much that changes aren't having an effect? How often are you changing out the heim joints? How much flex is there in the pan hard bar? Are you still running an LT1 instead of an LS1?
    I will do my best to answer the questions with an equivalent number of facts and figures provided in your astute analysis of the current CMC camaro performance across the board.
    - AST
    - A lot
    - No, questionable within the rules IMO
    - A lot
    - A little
    - Very, see racehero.io
    - Yes
    - 1-5lbs
    - Yes
    - No
    - Often enough
    - A little
    - Yes (for now)

Cold hard numbers typically make a stronger argument in my experience, but as a bad engineer I certainly wouldn't know. We're spending a huge amount of time in test and tune, much more than we spend during race weekends. I believe the test and tune time is evident when you look at the results for the #47 camaro this season, usually at the pointy end of the grid as far as F-bodys go. Regardless of whether or not the F-bodys are built to the full extent of the rules, there are several mustang drivers claiming they're over weight and cannot make weight. Doesn't it point to some parity skew if the fords can't make weight while still dominating the results for the past few seasons? It's great racing, don't get me wrong - but the data isn't exactly pointing to balanced manufacturer rules.

essentially a CMC car with 400rwhp
    133rwhp more than allowed by the rules, sounds relevant to me. No one is claiming that the f-body's handle poorly (relative to mustangs)... this is a parity issue. Mustangs may handle like crap, but the data shows that they're consistently faster these days than the camaros.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you at the track one day AI#97.
    -Josh

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
    What about qual?
    If you really want to get picky, there are people like me who tend to run faster on Sunday than they do on Saturday.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    If you really want to get picky, there are people like me who tend to run faster on Sunday than they do on Saturday.
    Well in that case, give the Camaro .75" more track on Saturday only

For what it's worth to the group, I have been focusing on my driving the past few years, my car is far from ideal, my driving still needs work too, but for 2017 I am going to step it up on car setup.
    I spend time looking at data(not as much as I should though), watching others make fast laps on youtube, looking at sat photos of the track, taking notes from each corner with a track map, worked with a professional driver on some coaching, meditating before the race and on grid, visualizing winning, making practice laps on grid in my head, studying excellence in sports and other areas (mostly NFL), etc etc etc...
    Last edited by mach1; 10-27-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    It's interesting to share the results and then hear the posturing. GM guys are basically saying hey-should we give this data any consideration as a reason to get data acquisition? Much different than the Mustang whining prior to 2013. Ford guys say the rules are good-shocker. Though it is shocking that Boudy thinks the rules should be reversed to see what happens with Dan. For those that weren't around he was pretty vocal about the Fox being at a disadvantage.

Now the posts between MFW/Richard are the most entertaining. Don't think you could get out of my car currently. I have had Patterson/McSpadden in my car but they haven't gone any faster then me-I think they sandbagged just to make me feel good and I appreciate it but they didn't magically run 4 seconds quicker. My car has Stoptechs, AST's, corner weight/alignment by Texas Track Works and is a good car that is certainly capable of being faster without me behind the wheel.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    Don't think you could get out of my car currently. I have had Patterson/McSpadden in my car but they haven't gone any faster then me-I think they sandbagged just to make me feel good and I appreciate it but they didn't magically run 4 seconds quicker.
    I think that proves the point that it's car driver/combo. I think I passed that 24/Patterson combo in 4th at TWS... And the 11/AI-Mosty to be fair.

The MFW/ARC "discussion" points out some things I believe, which is that prep matters and that ARC is doing it. Including, as I understand, getting Kent up to speed in James' car.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111
    Me too. I have limited seat time, often skip the practice day, and get faster over the weekend. Remember the money/fun ratio from before?

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1
    worked with a professional driver on some coaching, meditating before the race and on grid, visualizing winning, making practice laps on grid in my head...
    This. It matters. I think the Jordan's unlocked some skill-levelz at Hallett this year with some coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Guyz
    What have you done to setup the car? What does in do in X? How does it react in Y?
    I often feel like Cole Trickle - I don't know what you guys are saying. They said get in the car and drive. I don't think I have enough quality seat time to think about the car I'm in instead of the race I'm in.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    I should probably mention that I rarely practice too. Part of that is cheapassery, and the other part is usually that my work schedule just doesn't always jive with a Friday practice. I feel fast at Pueblo, I've run within .3 seconds of Flyin' Brian's record and I seem to be able to impose my will there. I feel that Pueblo is very similar to Hallett, so if I can be fast at Pueblo I can drive Hallett. High Plains is a whole 'nuther story, I just plain suck there. The surface is different, the flow is different, and I've only managed to get within 1 second of the record there but it wasn't even during a race it was a cool warmup session and I have a difficult time making passes. I feel like the car came together nicely this time at Pueblo, so the only way for me to get faster from here is to start logging data. I literally just show up and drive, half the time I don't even check tire pressures. I bought a notebook this Spring and it's still blank. I'd say at this point I don't know what I don't know, but I do believe that if I want to get faster without outside help I need to take good notes and log data. Once I hit the wall with that method, I'd say it's time to open my wallet for some 1 on 1 instruction.
    RM CMC Director

Professional coaching has been the most effective performance improvement on my car/driver combination.