• Yes I will be ready by Cresson

0 0%
  • Yes I will be ready by TWS

0 0%
  • No thanks, I'd rather buy RR's every weekend

3 37.50%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: RA1's for 2017 CMC

I can't see running a whole lot longer on NT01's than RR's. WRL limits tires to 200 utqg and on the Miata they are done after one day, but you really have to consider Mike's point about the tire curing. Race tires are not fully cured from the manufacturer, heat and age cure the rubber. Neither of these factors really impact the tire in an enduro because the tread is gone after a day before the tire cures and gets hard. There isn't much point in hoarding tires either because they will age harden. Why don't you run a tire test? I bet everybody would want to know if there is a grippy iron wearing tire that won't chunk out there. I doubt you would be protested.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    I kill tires as much now as I did 10 years ago. But the Toyo bucks are much better now, so that helps ease the pain. A 3400# car kills tires, and if you want to run up front, and have the car handle correctly, and not chase setup on bad rubber, that lap time difference for good tires is needed.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP99Z View Post
    I kill tires as much now as I did 10 years ago. But the Toyo bucks are much better now, so that helps ease the pain. A 3400# car kills tires, and if you want to run up front, and have the car handle correctly, and not chase setup on bad rubber, that lap time difference for good tires is needed.
    Just drive slower and they will last longer... (and I would appreciate it).
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Exactly
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

At least I get 10-12 heat cycles on the RR. When I raced Touring 2, I'd have to ditch the Hoosiers after 5-6 heat cycles...

Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    Meh...

Blog Entries
    I'm in favor of looking into a 200 tread rated tire to see if it would last 5-6 events. I'm happy to be the guinea pig as well. I used 2 sets of tires this year for 3 events and not interested in doing that going forward as I don't understand the point in our type of class-again I only discuss CMC.

Not very relevant to compare lap times to 10 years ago-different tire, different compound, less power, less brake, less shock, less development, more weight for Camaro's, etc.

Previous RA1 nobody was cycling out a tire because it had 5 heat cycles and times didn't drop. The motto was the RA1 sucked but it sucked for a long time. Now we have a tire that is much closer to a Hoosier which benefits lap times but nothing else. Who cares what lap times we run anyway.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I'm in favor of looking into a 200 tread rated tire to see if it would last 5-6 events. I'm happy to be the guinea pig as well. I used 2 sets of tires this year for 3 events and not interested in doing that going forward as I don't understand the point in our type of class-again I only discuss CMC.

Not very relevant to compare lap times to 10 years ago-different tire, different compound, less power, less brake, less shock, less development, more weight for Camaro's, etc.

Previous RA1 nobody was cycling out a tire because it had 5 heat cycles and times didn't drop. The motto was the RA1 sucked but it sucked for a long time. Now we have a tire that is much closer to a Hoosier which benefits lap times but nothing else. Who cares what lap times we run anyway.
    Faster laps means you're pushing the tire harder which means faster degradation.

I really don't think a 200tw tire is going to be any better. It may last longer, but you'll still have a drop off in lap times after 7 or 8 heat cycles. I've ran NT05's on my car and saw times drop after 8 heat cycles.

Maxiss rc1 is about $250.00 for 275/35/18 and $205.00 for 275/35/17. Pays free tires to !-3 in every class but AI and CMC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    Maxiss rc1 is about $250.00 for 275/35/18 and $205.00 for 275/35/17. Pays free tires to !-3 in every class but AI and CMC
    They make a 275/40-17.

That would be great for me, both trailer and race car on the same brand of tires LOL.