• Yes I will be ready by TWS

0 0%
  • No thanks, I'd rather buy RR's every weekend

3 37.50%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RA1's for 2017 CMC

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I have not voted yet but my concern is the RA1 will not do any better than the RR with regards to falling off.
    I think we all will agree that the new RA1 compound is different than the "thin-to-win" philosophy from 10 years ago. I just wouldn't want to run RA1's and have them drop off like the RR's.
    There is that risk, the way I look at it is that we can do nothing or try the RA1's which "might" work out, if they don't we can make a change back to RR's.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    RR's are $258.31 ea. plus $8.50 per tire to ship
    RA-1's shaved to 4/32nds are $253.45 ea. + $25.00 ea. to shave plus $8.50 per tire to ship

RA-1's are more expensive ( I did only get one quote but I can't believe they be that much difference)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have not voted yet but my concern is the RA1 will not do any better than the RR with regards to falling off.
    I think we all will agree that the new RA1 compound is different than the "thin-to-win" philosophy from 10 years ago. I just wouldn't want to run RA1's and have them drop off like the RR's.

If the new RA1 does fall off just like the RR them I'm with Michael.

JJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Trooper View Post
    RR's are $258.31 ea. plus $8.50 per tire to ship
    RA-1's shaved to 4/32nds are $253.45 ea. + $25.00 ea. to shave plus $8.50 per tire to ship

RA-1's are more expensive ( I did only get one quote but I can't believe they be that much difference)
    I was thinking the RA1 was around 210 plus shaving.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    For what it's worth I was running 28's at Hallett on 40 heat cycle 255 ra'1s from 2013
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    This is why I haven't voted. I have had RA1s cycle out before the cords and I've had RRs run good to the cords. I'm not convinced the new breed of RA1 is going to cut costs vs the current RR. I ran 2014 on full tread RA1s and needed 2 sets to get through the season due to the 1st falling off. I ran 2015 on leftover RA1s (at Pueblo only) and the 1 set of RRs I did buy. I ran 2016 on leftover RRs from 2015 and another set I managed to burn through. I have yet to see a significant difference between the tire compounds. From my observations, the ONLY things that seem to make my lap times swing are DA track temps.
    RM CMC Director

For me personally (#8 Fox Mustang) I ran my fastest lap times ever at Pueblo last year (1:44.495, track record 1:44.06) in September with 20 heat cycles on my RR's. Track temperature was 107. For the next race that afternoon I ran another 1:44.994 with 21 heat cycles and track temperature of 110. I should also note that I flipped the tires at heat cycle 18.

Interestingly I switched to another set of RR's the next day that had 11 heat cycles on them. Track temp was similar to the above at 110 degrees, my best lap time was 1:46.858...about 2.5 seconds slower compared to the set with 21 heat cycles on them. I then experimented for our Hanksville fun race an hour or two later and put the other set back on which were now on heat cycle 23. Track temp was 98 degrees, my best lap dropped back down to a 1:45.435.

A few weeks ago at Pueblo I had a brand new set of RR's on the car (heat cycle #1). Track temperature was 77 degrees under a sunny sky and air temperature of 84 degrees. My fastest lap time was 1:45.684.

Not sure how to summarize this but for one set of RRs (last year) I got some incredible lap times well into the low to mid 20 heat cycle range.
    Last edited by BADVENM; 11-01-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    In May of this year at TWS on Friday practice I was running 16-18 HC RR's. I changed to all stickers after one went flat for the last session and ran two seconds faster! I'm sure Eric Foss told me Tyler also ran two seconds faster after changing to stickers that same afternoon. I have no idea how many heat cycles were on Tyler's old tires. Tyler?

How that can be after Michael set a track record on 18-20 heat cycle RR's is beyond my comprehension.

JJ
    Last edited by ShadowBolt; 11-02-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I have no clue Jerry. I set the "then" track record at TWS in 2014 (I think) on heat cycle 18 and then the next event, the track record at ECR on heat cycle 24. This has been my only set of RR's that has been fast with high heat cycles as every other set has felt like total crap.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Blog Entries
    I have no clue Jerry. I set the "then" track record at TWS in 2014 (I think) on heat cycle 18 and then the next event, the track record at ECR on heat cycle 24. This has been my only set of RR's that has been fast with high heat cycles as every other set has felt like total crap.
    If I remember that was your second set of RR's. The first set and every other set since have fallen off after 10-12 heat cycles at the most.

JJ