0 0%
  • Yes I will be ready by TWS

0 0%
  • No thanks, I'd rather buy RR's every weekend

3 37.50%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: RA1's for 2017 CMC

Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    Maxiss rc1 is about $250.00 for 275/35/18 and $205.00 for 275/35/17. Pays free tires to !-3 in every class but AI and CMC
    What do Jack and Jason think about the Maxxis?

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanL View Post
    I'm in favor of looking into a 200 tread rated tire to see if it would last 5-6 events. I'm happy to be the guinea pig as well. I used 2 sets of tires this year for 3 events and not interested in doing that going forward as I don't understand the point in our type of class-again I only discuss CMC.

Not very relevant to compare lap times to 10 years ago-different tire, different compound, less power, less brake, less shock, less development, more weight for Camaro's, etc.

Previous RA1 nobody was cycling out a tire because it had 5 heat cycles and times didn't drop. The motto was the RA1 sucked but it sucked for a long time. Now we have a tire that is much closer to a Hoosier which benefits lap times but nothing else. Who cares what lap times we run anyway.
    I will be a guinea pig with ya!
    Nitto's NT-01 $214 ea free shipping
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Nitto/726/40294/10002/-1
    2 for 1 race and rain tire.

Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    What do Jack and Jason think about the Maxxis?
    Dennis, we haven't tried them. Like everybody else we want to evaluate ways to cut cost. I have 4 sets of RR's with less than 3 heat cycles. If we decicde to run some races out side of AI, then I could see us trying a different brand. We do a lot of testing so we know pretty well where the tires start to drop off based on our car and driver. Results will vary from track to track. I don't see us putting the time and expense into doing the same with RA1's. We generally heat cycle a set and put them away,some times we use them for quaili. We always have a heat cycled set for the toyo races and run older tires for the inverts. It's a system that works for us.

Thanks Tam. I have heard good and bad about the Maxxis, but no relevant data. I was told it is a street compound grooved to look like a race tire, but on lighter cars not pushed to the limit it seems to last longer than the softer compounds. I was mainly interested in finding a practice tire I could run longer than the RR, but I think buying used RR's is the way to go for practice tires. I haven't run any new Hoosiers yet, only cycled out tires and they are terrible once they fall off. Mike hit the nail on the head, the car weight is the main factor with any tire run. He has been driving at the tire limit for a long time, just look at the consistency of his lap times. I believe that the group is just getting faster, there is not any tire issue, winning will mitigate tire budget issues and any unshaved street compound will chunk. JMHO

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    yah there will never be any magic tire that will last a season on todays cars with current speeds. just not a reality. and RA1's are not any better. shaving is a pain to have to deal with and pay for all the time. and getting tires that are shaved well and consistant is a whole nutha issue.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    It would be nice if Toyo took the RR construction and just changed the rubber to a 200 tread wear formula and call it the RR-Endurance
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Interesting idea Marshall, the tire molds for the RR have already been cast. It would introduce an F1 style wrinkle into the series.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Maybe a post-production "green stripe" or "red stripe" to designate the difference.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Well those jokers pitched the RR as a response to racer demand, so don't hold your breath. That said, I'm not seeing a significant drop in lap times on RRs in my region. This is part of what drives rule changes. What are the racing surfaces like here in RM vs there in TX or GL/MW? These are all factors that must be considered when making a change like this.
    RM CMC Director

I have been thinking that too about RM, maybe different aggregate in the paving that doesn't get polished as easily as in the flatland. There are a handful of drivers in TX that fully understand setup and are driving at the pro level. Like EF Hutton when they speak about tires, I listen. We have some really fast wabbits to chase in TX.