Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas 2017 Schedule

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    When I talked to Will while COTA was being finalized, he indicated that due to the size of the track, we would most likely combine run groups. With that being said, rolling starts would be the fastest way around.

Now if we could get 3-4 pace cars to run the short course on the formation lap...

I'll talk to Will about that.
    With two green flags at different locations two run groups on that track should not be a big deal and should get us more track time per race.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Guys,
    Let me take all that back and discuss with swill.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    Tam, you guys have quite a bit of experience at COTA and your recommendations on how to approach this track are spot on. How would you set up the race schedule? The track is too long for our normal recon lap and four 20 minute races. There was also some discontent with the point system for the Hallett champ race this year. As a mechanic/driver I tend to get tunnel vision most race weekends, you get a better big picture view than I do.
    This is a big event we should treat it as one.

First off Chin Motorsports has an event tentatively scheduled for April 1-2. IMHO they probably put on the best track day events and at a place like COTA they may limit it to experienced drivers only, which means 2 run groups and more track time. Several of our guys work with them. Plus they attract some very cool cars that you won't likely see else where.

There are plenty of good ideas floating around.

My own thoght on the event. For us its all about the racing,this will probably be a more expensive event that we usually have so I want to see the time spent racing maximized. No offense to the HPDE guys but maybe they should be excused from this event.

Running to many groups together can have a a impact on your race. If you do run multiple groups together make sure they are compatible and they are gridded separately, Nothing worse than qualifying well then having another group inserted between you and the pole sitter in your group

Think the 15 min warm up for each group would be a waste of time due to the track length, so maybe one all groups warmup lasting maybe 30 min. Your not going to learn the track in 15 min.

Qualifying maybe 3 laps out lap, hot lap, in lap. with the next group ready to go as soon as the last car enters pit lane or earlier. I do like Dennis idea of gridding based on finishing position and not qualifying on Sunday, use that time for warmup or hardship laps if you have problems on Saturday

Recon lap should only include the short course as should the cool down lap.That could be managed by a couple of extra people .

Pace car is great idea as long as they are competent and know what their doing and were not forming up coming out of turn 11.The ones at WGI were awful. Maybe release the field as the last car of the previous group exits turn 12.

Rolling starts only, why waste more time.

Race length, It's starts at the drop of the flag and ends with the checker. Ive never been a fan of our little 20 min races that include out and in laps. I like a 45 min race each day counting for contigency. Make it a real race that actually is a race.

Somebody will complain it's to hot or my car won't run that far. It's 6 months away time to get to work . Drag the car out of the trailer make it look good and go out and start testing. you would be suprised at how much better and quicker you will be. I promise that we will.

Will and his team should be commended for making this happen and it should be a special event. Hopefully this will attract competettors from all over the country and can become a show case event for NASA Texas. Could even lead to the Nationals being held here if we all do a good job

Blog Entries
    I for obvious reasons do not like 45 minute races unless there are four of them. Three races per weekend is not good for two drivers. World Challenge and others run several different run groups at the same time and while it's not perfect I will trade those issues for longer races. If they started one group on the back side of the track at least when you caught them or vice versa the cars should be scattered by then.

JJ

COTA is a big deal! Will has brought a national caliber event into the region and it is up to the directors to manage it properly. With my most profound and humble respect, structuring an entire event around one team driven car, or eliminating HPDE revenues are un-realistic expectations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    COTA is a big deal! Will has brought a national caliber event into the region and it is up to the directors to manage it properly. With my most profound and humble respect, structuring an entire event around one team driven car, or eliminating HPDE revenues are un-realistic expectations.
    I can assure you nothing will be done with respect to COTA that is due to the "one team driven car".

JJ

I was at the recent SVRA nationals which had modern Trans am as support race. TA pitted and gridded from the bottom paddock at entered track at turn 12. Building on that we could grid there and take the green at the normal place. No time lost or wasted with out/in laps. I'd prefer our races hold our traditional format although I'd support a Hallet format for COTA.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trublu View Post
    I was at the recent SVRA nationals which had modern Trans am as support race. TA pitted and gridded from the bottom paddock at entered track at turn 12. Building on that we could grid there and take the green at the normal place. No time lost or wasted with out/in laps. I'd prefer our races hold our traditional format although I'd support a Hallet format for COTA.
    That makes two of us but I have no issue running with another group to get longer races.

JJ

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    JJ -

Another option may be to have one driver run in CMC and the other in ST4 (see new ST rules). I think it's unlikely that we will have 4 races at COTA. It may be 3. The schedule is not even close to being discussed at the moment. There are other logistics being worked out including grid area, in/out laps etc. Until we have a better idea of how/where certain things sort out we can't even take a stab at the schedule. Maximizing race time is the goal.

Regarding the mixed group comments - yes, Thunder will have other cars on the track with AI/CMC, and they will split starts. SU or PT cars are the most likely. It will depend on actual entries per class, and we will need to balance things out. Plan on 50-60 cars on track per race group. They may have 75 SM cars alone in Cyclone.

This event is going to be huge, and pricey. I believe this is the most expensive track to rent in the country.

I have no idea what the cost will be but a quick google search showed track prices from around the country. By far and if true COTA is #1 for cost at $50,000 per day for a weekend.

http://blog.motorsportreg.com/global...s#.WDim4U02yJA