Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Texas 2017 Schedule

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    All,
    If you look at NASA TX over the past decade, the entry fee increases have been kept to a bare minimum. When I started racing with NASA 13 years ago, entry fees were $275 per weekend. Over the past 12 seasons, to get to $379 entries, that's only about 2.5% per year... What we haven't seen is very many years of escalations and Will is just trying to re-baseline for what hasn't been done in the past years.

There is a BUNCH that goes into paying for a weekend:
    1. Track Rental
    2. Insurance
    3. Emergency Workers
    4. Paying non-comped workers (Timing & Scoring, Driver Info, Tech)
    5. Catering for Saturday night (food and two kegs of beer)
    6. 20+ hotel rooms for the workers
    7. Round trip airfare for workers flying in from out of state
    8. Rental cars for those flying in

I'm sure that everyone would agree that the service and atmosphere today is lightyears ahead of the pre-Balangit era when we barely had registration, no Saturday night party (food/drinks), etc.

I spent a fair bit of time on the phone with Will today to understand the scale of running an event. NASA and SCCA provide similar $$/track time experience but I'm sure that the NASA group would be much more tight knit than the A-Sedan crowd..
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    2005 - entry was $225 if I recall correctly.

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Track rental fees keep increasing every year. And some tracks are raising rates faster than others. Ambulance services and insurance are also always on the rise. I believe Will is also adding a second ambulance service to each event. If the ambulance is offsite, we can't race.

I am very happy to be racing here. The competition level has increased every season I've been here, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff. A second med crew sounds good to me, if you have a chance to buy the medics lunch... do so. They are very special people who are every bit as focused on their mission as we are about racing. Just my .02

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    avg price for cota for any org for a whole weekend is $950
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    I am very happy to be racing here. The competition level has increased every season I've been here, enjoy it and don't sweat the small stuff. A second med crew sounds good to me, if you have a chance to buy the medics lunch... do so. They are very special people who are every bit as focused on their mission as we are about racing. Just my .02
    One week after MSRC. I doubt I can pull that off so I guess the Friday prior will have to do.

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall_mosty View Post
    All,
    If you look at NASA TX over the past decade, the entry fee increases have been kept to a bare minimum. When I started racing with NASA 13 years ago, entry fees were $275 per weekend. Over the past 12 seasons, to get to $379 entries, that's only about 2.5% per year... What we haven't seen is very many years of escalations and Will is just trying to re-baseline for what hasn't been done in the past years.

There is a BUNCH that goes into paying for a weekend:
    1. Track Rental
    2. Insurance
    3. Emergency Workers
    4. Paying non-comped workers (Timing & Scoring, Driver Info, Tech)
    5. Catering for Saturday night (food and two kegs of beer)
    6. 20+ hotel rooms for the workers
    7. Round trip airfare for workers flying in from out of state
    8. Rental cars for those flying in

I'm sure that everyone would agree that the service and atmosphere today is lightyears ahead of the pre-Balangit era when we barely had registration, no Saturday night party (food/drinks), etc.

I spent a fair bit of time on the phone with Will today to understand the scale of running an event. NASA and SCCA provide similar $$/track time experience but I'm sure that the NASA group would be much more tight knit than the A-Sedan crowd..
    Marshall, thanks for taking the time to write that out, this kind of transparency and communication is fantastic and greatly appreciated by everyone here.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net