Thread: WTB LS1 F-Body Y-pipe

WTB LS1 F-Body Y-pipe

Redshift is making good progress on the Burnt Orange (formerly Orange Crush) build. Have a slight hang-up finding a suitable y-pipe coming off the exhaust manifolds.

Anyone have a line on an LS1 parts car, or have a y-pipe they're willing to part with? Hoping to make a test day at TWS on the 9th.

- Josh

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I have some Y pipe but depends on the manifolds you are using. But I'm in Plano. They are laying around in places if you can find one. Post up on ls1tech in texas classifieds. You can also buy some aftermarket ones but one of them cracked on my car at the flange.
    Didn't know orange was going LS. I don't blame you. Power isn't any different but they generally always run and don't have weird gremlins.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    Check with the Houston F-Body facebook group; I did see an ad a while back on CL that has expired now for one.

Do you have the cats/pipes that bolt on to the manifolds? I cut mine out and made my own pipes, a 4' section of 2.25" tubing and a couple of mandrel 45* bends where all I needed; a couple of 30* bends would've made it perfect though.

You also want to find the hanger bracket/bushing that hangs off the back of the tailshaft housing; it connects to the passenger side of the y pipe:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ypipebolts.jpg
    http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...emberbolts.jpg

I have the metal piece that bolts to the exhaust and stabs the bushing, but you will have to find the bushing unless your pullout assembly still has it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Do you have the cats/pipes that bolt on to the manifolds? I cut mine out and made my own pipes, a 4' section of 2.25" tubing and a couple of mandrel 45* bends where all I needed; a couple of 30* bends would've made it perfect though.
    The cat pipes are exactly the part I'm missing actually. I just figured out through copious reverse google image searching that the 98-00 exhaust is different from the 01-02 exhaust. We've got 2002 manifolds on the car currently.

I'll check ls1tech and the f-body facebook group. If none of that works out, I may just follow your lead and fab the missing parts.

reference: http://ls1tech.com/forums/chevrolet-...n-exhaust.html

- Josh

Blog Entries
    Yeah in that case just fab it from scratch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-F-Body-E...hXjFBf&vxp=mtr

The cats are both in at really funky angles so there really isn't much that you're going to use beyond the flanges.

I used 2.25" vbands to connect the cat delete pipes to the y pipe.

Blog Entries
    Exhaust on my car uses the flanges and was cutoff where the cat starts. They made the bends that connected to the factory y pipe which is a flat pipe on one side. I wouldn't run the cats though it might be a good restriction I pulled them for safety and they were worth some money awhile back which is why you don't find cats for these around much.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Well, no luck finding the part I needed. Took both of your advice and ordered parts to build what I need.

We were completely fed-up with the LT1, and the fire was bad enough to require re-wiring the car. Decided to make the switch in search of reliability.

Blog Entries
    Let me know if you need anything. I may be in Houston next week. Good move on going to the LS-certainly less gremlins.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24