Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4th gen cooling

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries

4th gen cooling

Looking to put a generic GM radiator found in dirt track catalogs in my CMC 4th gen LT1. OEM rad will not cut it. My LGM direct fit is not repairable.

Found a 19" tall triple pass for $200.

Worth the time to lay it forward if you cannot vent through the hood?

Not sure on the angle. We've had a good experience with this radiator in the silver car: http://www.jegs.com/i/Be-Cool-Radiat...60028/10002/-1

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Not sure but I think the LG radiators were made by Ron Davis or another place. I think I figured that out awhile back with some measurements or reading on corvette forum. Problem is they are so expensive and I think you run an external cooler so I don't see the reason.
    You look at Day or Smiley's? They have some cheap universal radiators which I think are made by the same people that make them for nascar.
    Bryan Leinart
    CMC #24

Blog Entries
    The LG one i had was a Howe. I worked on getting that deal going. I had the first one made.
    I can get another from Howe for $600.
    Looking to go more generic. Cost is a reason.
    Looking @ an FSR triple pass @ $240. Has 2 rows of 1" tubes like my old LG (Howe).

Blog Entries
    The generic ones are too tall. 19" tall requires the radiator to lay back even more the wrong way. Rules allow for the lower suport to be modified and lowered, but that puts the rad at greater damage risk.
    With the way these cars breath (cooling) from the bottom, laying it down forward will help. But is it pointless if the air cant go out a hole in the hood?
    Should I go back to a front breather? I felt that hurt my aero pretty bad. I had it on the old car and it couldn never draft well.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    The old LG had a oil cooler in the side tank. Never worked well with the iron LT1. Worked great with the aluminum 5.7 even @ 500hp.

Blog Entries
    FWIW I like my entropy radiator; beat the crap out of it and have had it repaired a couple of times (no fault to radiator).

I see that the price has gone up on their site though from what I remember, $540 list now .

Blog Entries
    Glenn have you tried seeing if you can get a taller dirt track rad that matches the stock height/width then having aluminum angle welded on? I did this with mine to solidly mount a high flow fan and provide a more reliable mount point for my upper radiator shroud, that I made myself.

I can look on mine to see the brand. 2 pass generic fit no problems, just had to make my own hoses. Cools just fine now that the bumper beam isn't blocking the flow.
    Al Fernandez

Senior Member Grass-Passer MikeP99Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennCMC70 View Post
    The old LG had a oil cooler in the side tank. Never worked well with the iron LT1. Worked great with the aluminum 5.7 even @ 500hp.
    I'm thinking it was a BeCool. I'm in the middle of radiator research myself, for some reason. The BeCool is freakin' expensive.