Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW Rules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasawill View Post
    We have something that is without a doubt for the greater good of any driver that could potentially be involved in an incident. I think most can buy into that. Using video is the most fair and reasonable way to assess fault in most situations.
    Put your efforts into the penalty portion of the rules instead of new rules.

Lots of driver's record to protect themselves whether they admit to that being the reason or not. But forcing me to do so steps over a line. We don't earn a living from this. So there should be no incentive to play dirty.
    You have single handedly penalized every driver, even those who have never had contact.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 12-24-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like the one issue people like the least is the messing with the camera between sessions. What if I revised the rule to only require recording for the Races and not practice/qual? Would you guys be for or against that? Someone could still run and share video that wanted to, but no penalty for not running video in a non-race session. What say ye? Remember, video can save your butt as much much as it can do you in wether its passing under yellow or getting collected by someone else....
    The issue I have is the being penalized for not having video. As I said, most guys run it for thier own self defense. To make it manditory and subject to penalty if when needed is not available is bs.

This is not the ameture racing series I came to in 2005. Next we will be required to carry data loggers of your choosing and all data must be turned in for platform parity adjustments. Sounds like SCCA. I was shocked when World Challenge started that requirement, and that was leaps and bounds above this level.
    Will NASA be the next organization that rules the fun out of racing? Who within NASA will leave over stuff like this and create a fun and cheap place to race? Sounds like how NASA came to life. Now NASA is becoming what drove folks away from where they were to create NASA.
    Last edited by GlennCMC70; 12-24-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    This is an extremely stupid rule. I have had many camera failures and missed stuff I wanted to see. How are they going to police legitimate failures?

Since I am not currently racing.. I guess it doesn't matter.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nasawill View Post
    We just want incidents to be easier to review. Video is the best way to do that. Someone will only be penalized if we request their video to review an incident and it cannot be produced. Without penalty, someone with a video that could save your butt could be one of the "it didn't record" types that just doesn't want to give up the video for whatever many reasons some people don't want to share their video..

It sounds like the one issue people like the least is the messing with the camera between sessions. What if I revised the rule to only require recording for the Races and not practice/qual? Would you guys be for or against that? Someone could still run and share video that wanted to, but no penalty for not running video in a non-race session. What say ye? Remember, video can save your butt as much much as it can do you in wether its passing under yellow or getting collected by someone else....
    The bold text highlights the point - it could be third person video that somebody wants/needs. I have fewer concerns about the "bad event" issues that hardly ever happen than the impact on 200 race cars that must run video aspect. On it's face, "forward facing" gets you 20 minutes of the front of the spare tire well.

I'd rather see the camera thing in the "highly recommended" part of rules.

Or, if "we" must, identify and tier the penalties toward being responsible for an incident and not having video perhaps carrying more penalty. Or as Matt mentioned, are there folks whose car control/race craft is sufficiently suspect to warrant video? If it is, then their Race Director should be reviewing some of it with them regularly.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Hey Will, start a thread in the Texas section on the NASA forum site to get a broader review from the rest of the folks.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

If they want to provide the sim cards for the camera great , if not then no thanks.
    If they want to make something mandatory to improve the the product then why not something like the RaceCeiver. One way comunication to each car from race control, each unit cost $99.00. We used them in another series and they worked great for communicatinng with the cars, makes getting grids packed up for starts, especially those cars that cannot seem to figure out how to close the gap on the start or restart. Imediatiate notification of a flag violation, or immediate notifcation of an on track incident, safety car, emergency vehicle, black flag, red flag, yelow flag. As inexpensive as they are NASA could purchase enough to lease for the weekend they could pay for themselves the first weekend. There might be a few bugs to work out at some ofthe longer tracks, but for most of the tracks were at they should work fine. if you already have a radio then your crew guys use it to monitor the freq and pass along the information. weve had ours for about 10 years still works great. imho keeping the drivers informed about the on track situation is far more important than requiring a video to prove something did or didn't happen a particular way. Most of us run video anyway so its still available if its needed for review.

Blog Entries
    I was just about to make the same post.
    Mandate safety equipment.

Blog Entries
    Also - I read into some of what was said above.
    Is there a concern that a driver was behind an incident and has that on video and will claim to not have it to protect the at fault driver? If so, I find that highly offensive.

RaceCeiver sounds like something worth looking at. Radio from the observer is a big help in maintaining situational awareness, but not always practical, especially for a one man show. The observer needs to be really good to keep from being a distraction. The idea of race control being able talk to the field sounds good too but too much chatter and drivers will tune it out.

I have not seen bad sportsmanship thus far with the group, a win is a win, but I don't think anybody cares about a win unless it was achieved on equal terms with the other drivers. Driver/Car/Preparation are the criteria.

I have been a fly on the wall watching Will review video to judge a contact. He is a straight up race driver in that role. I think this video debate is getting out of proportion, most of us run video and we would gladly give it up if it helps to figure out what had happened if somebody comes to grief.

What about at the race director's discretion, clamping a Nasa owned GoPro into the cars of drivers with speeding tickets or at random?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    All,
    I have been involved with multiple IRB's and having several cars worth of video has been critical in determining exactly what happened. Sometimes even after seeing two videos and "having your mind made up" only to have a clearer third video surface that overturns the whole IRB "prelim" findings.

Think of it like NFL and the challenge rule of video vs the ref's on the field.

I agree that everyone needs to run video to help in these situations, but personally disagree that a penalty should be assessed due to a failure to record the entire outlay, race, cook down lap...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...