Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NEW Rules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to try this one for MSRH and let you guys know how it works. Cheap Wifi enabled Gopro knockoff that is reviewed better and more popular than the actual Gopro on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-EK7000-.../dp/B01HGM33HG

Maybe after MSRH I'll try rig up a tablet with the camera app and portable hard drive to try out the semi-automatic data dump idea so I don't have to keep pulling the SD card.

I bought the ridiculously expensive Aim camera because it integrates with the Solo and it has telemetry displayed on the video. It starts automatically when the car is turned on and shuts off in 5 minutes if it doesn't move. One 32G card is good for the whole weekend. It has turned out better than I thought it would be.

Pranav, just curious, what kind of hardware would be required to process video via wifi in real time for the entire field to display on a large split screen?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Each car would need a camera connected to some kind of computer with a high powered wifi signal or proprietary radio. Would be a lot of weight/expense, and beyond the scope of budget amateur racing with NASA.

Gotcha. It's not my bailiwick, just idle curiosity about the current technology.

Happy New Years everyone.
    I have read this entire thread and had to laugh a few times. Everyone HATES change and HATES being told they HAVE TO do something. One thing that needs to be remembered is that a rule change is for every race group. AI is a very clean racing group of guys so of course there will be some push back in a rule that doesn't seem logical to them. I come from Spec Miata where you have all types of drivers. When I was running SM I ALWAYS had my cam on to CYA cause you never know what's going to happen. I also think it helps keep a few drivers honest and a little more level headed when they start to drive with red mist and want to "retaliate". Buy a few what I call throw away cameras on Amazon. search fake GoPro and you can get some 1080P knock offs for $45. I heard an argument about keep all these devices charged, Simple plan would be to put your helmet in your tow vehicle after you get out of your car and plug your camera into your cig charger. This way you remember your camera in your tow vehicle cause your helmet is in there. I have bought several $8 hard wired charges that plug right into GoPro and Fake GoPro. If you know you are having problems with your camera, bring it to you RD attention before the races and I am sure that will go a long way.
    And not racing AI CMC anymore because of a silly rule change to help protect other drivers and officials....Come on...that in itself is just crazy talk.
    Just my 2 cents ;-)

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The desire to leave over this rule comes from the penalty aspect, not the requirement of the device.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    i would hope the camera req would only apply to races and not for ALL the sessions. That becomes a royal pain if thats the case.
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Rob Liebbe's Avatar
    Since I already have a GoPro, I purchased these for attaching to an alternate power source.

https://www.adorama.com/sxdvgp3usb.h...ef=productPage

https://www.adorama.com/sxdvgp4usbc....ef=productPage

Will likely hook into a mini jump start battery like this:

http://tinyurl.com/zxl7t9j

or run some type of usb adapter to vehicle 12V source like this

https://powerwerx.com/usbbuddy-power...8eEBoCXmnw_wcB

I use my GoPro for work and have been needing to go to a better power source anyway.

I've also purchased an external microphone set hoping to get better audio:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html
    Rob Liebbe - Texas Region
    Camaro, Mustang, doesn't matter to me, I'll race it.

Seems like folks are over thinking this whole thing. Our replay xd takes 2 second to install push one button to to turn on and one to start. One charge last all weekend. I figured people would be more upset with only being able to drop one weekend for points.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby RichardP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    I figured people would be more upset with only being able to drop one weekend for points.
    I don't really have a clue what points system Texas CMC is going to use??? There is a default points system in Section 22 of the CCR. It's clear that the new Texas Region rules supersede the default CCR system because it specifically says that in both the CCR and the Texas Region Supplemental rules. Section 8 of the CMC rules specifies what the CMC points system is. It's pretty clear that the CMC points rules supersede the CCR rules, again based on the wording in the CCR.

It's not clear whether the Texas Region Supplemental rules supersede the CMC rules? No mention is made in either place. Generically, the CMC rules would supersede the local rules but that's not clear or spelled out. Also, the local rules just specify the number of drops (and assume all weekends have the same number of races, which might not be true). The local rules don't specify the points structure, which means the system defaults to the points structure in the CCR, which is superseded by the CMC rules. It's all a bit messy.

Anyway, I assume that CMC will use the points system specified in the CMC rules. AI will use the points system specified in the CCR with the exception of the number of drops. AIX will again likely default to whoever shows up the most wins. Confirmation or clarification from management is desired...

Richard P.