Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NEW Rules

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    I'm sure there are enough of us with portable power (jump boxes, inverters, etc) to help out. I try and have two fully charged batteries at the beginning of the weekend.

I did speak with Will for about 20 minutes on this subject tonight and we are working together to re-draft the supplement to further explain the new requirements and how they will be implemented, and enforced.

Stay tuned...
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My position will not change as long as there is a penalty attached for not being able to produce video when requested.

Senior Member Grass-Passer rleng1's Avatar
    So now I assume out of region racers will need to have cameras to comply, even though their home region only recommends the use of in-car cameras. Thought NASA was National.
    Randy English
    NASA Texas --> Rocky Mtn Region
    CMC #77 Camaro

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Charging has never been a problem for me, I used to plug it into my truck until I put a deep cycle and inverter in the trailer. I did have an issue with my memory card corrupting a shit load of videos. I got screwed out of some real good footage from that. It's always been my understanding that you run the camera to protect yourself, i.e. if you can't prove it wasn't your fault then it is (if you're the one passing and nobody has footage). That new 360 camera looks pretty sweet and is creeping up on my wishlist. I had an incident this year that a rear facing camera would have been able to clear right up so there's my motivation.
    RM CMC Director

Let me go back a little and explain why this started.

There's a couple regions that have already mandated cameras and I see it sometime soon becoming a national rule. NorCal and NorthEast have this rule already. NorCal has done it for the last 5 years now.

When things like this gain traction they eventually become national rules. Me wanting our region to be an early adopter of this is to let us relay back practical feedback to the national rule writers about how these things should be rolled out. Being early adopters helps let us provide feedback for how this should handled. I like to be in early on things like this for this reason.

As of today I've pinged our national director list and have lots of feedback already sent back and forth with the powers the be at the national office and with all the other regions to help implement this. I've voiced every single concern mentioned on this thread. I appreciate all of you who provided realistic feedback that will help shape this into what I believe is a very reasonable step moving forward.

With all the many things that we do to our cars between sessions I don't think that adding 5-10 minutes a day to manage camera batteries and memory cards is too much to ask. There's hours worth of changes and setup and repair and maintenance we already do and I understand that is what we all focus on, but making this a rule is the only reasonable way to get everybody on board.

We will never randomly spot check for video, we'll only request it if you were in or near an incident, and if you don't have it then we'll apply the rule. I'll try to get this spelled out in the rule.

To sum up, we will implement this at least regionally in in Texas for 2017. I will continue to take input here as well as continue to work with the other Regional Directors to re-draft the rule as clearly as possible. I hope this helps. Happy New Years to you all, I'll be back on here next week with an update!

PS I had a really cool setup in my SE30 that had a button on the dash wired to the go pro and another cable that kept the go pro powered so all I had to do was swap out memory cards every session and push the start button leaving pre-grid. Very low cost, and super convenient in this case. I'm not sure if anything after the Hero2 is setup for this, but the newer cameras have wireless remotes which are awesome. Also, the last couple times I drove in the 25 hour we had hard wired power to our GoPros.
    Will Faules
    Regional Director - NASA Texas

Senior Member Carroll Shelby GlennCMC70's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your going to have to at least protect the camera owner from failures of the equipment or software. If they made an attempt to capture the session, they should be released from penalties.
    Still think this is a dumb rule.

I think the driver of this is cases were video was available for review but the owner of the video reported there was no video.

A lack of integrity by a few should not result in something that affects everyone.

If this rule goes through how long must we have any potential video available? Can it be deleted at the conclusion of the weekend or any video from a Saturday be deleted at the end of the day so the storage devices are fresh for Sunday? Will it be like the protest form or contact form where its limited to 30 minutes (contact form I think), etc?

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    On a personal aside, I think it's barbaric and dumb that in the age of ubiquitous and cheap car USB chargers, iphones, and wifi everything, that we still have to keep manually pulling our cameras to charge them and unload the SD cards, and have to give GoPro $400+ to get half of those features only to have the camera fail or crap out. I'm too lazy/busy to keep messing with a camera between every session thus I have very little footage of my past 4 years in CMC, and whenever I did it would be with a crappy Kodak playsport I stole from my dad.

I'm going to research a cheap option to keep a camera mounted and wired/charged full time and have it dump its data once a wifi enable device of some sort is within range once I pull into the paddock.

I'm thinking this camera and a cheap android tablet dedicated for race day use:
    https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-EK5000-...s=akaso+camera

I'd drill a hole in the side of the waterproof case and run a usb cable to a charger permanently. Just need to figure out how to incorporate a large storage device into all of this.
    Last edited by Pranav; 01-03-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Wade's Avatar
    Ditch the GoPro junk! The only thing GoPro is good at is marketing. I used a Drift for five years and never lost a file due to corruption or whatever crap issues GoPro's have. Ideally, I wanted something that would stay mounted in the car, run off the cigarette lighter, and start/stop capture upon a GPS/gyro signal of motion. That way there is no forgetting to turn it on. So, it is $300 for a nice camera plus your work/time, or $1,000+ to step up into the next level.

https://us.driftinnovation.com/collections/cameras-new
    '86 Mustang Coupe - CMC2 34

Senior Member Carroll Shelby marshall_mosty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    Ditch the GoPro junk! The only thing GoPro is good at is marketing. I used a Drift for five years and never lost a file due to corruption or whatever crap issues GoPro's have. Ideally, I wanted something that would stay mounted in the car, run off the cigarette lighter, and start/stop capture upon a GPS/gyro signal of motion. That way there is no forgetting to turn it on. So, it is $300 for a nice camera plus your work/time, or $1,000+ to step up into the next level.

https://us.driftinnovation.com/collections/cameras-new

I'm on my 10th season with a Drift170. Never lost a file. Cheap batteries are available on Ebay, as are extra chargers.
    Marshall Mosty
    AI/SI Texas Regional Director
    2011 NASA-TX American Iron Champ
    AI #67 "Mosty Brothers' Racing" (RIP)
    ST6 #21 Toyota Corolla (being revived)...