Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AI or CMC cars in WRL?

Junior Member Rookie

AI or CMC cars in WRL?

Hey everybody, I've been absent from the 'grassroots scene' a while- (vintage racing is getting out of my league)... Curious if anyone runs an AI or CMC legal car with WRL at all? Road racing and endurance are my passions; but the ability to run a local 'sprint weekend' with the same car I could run in the 8 hour or more events would make for easier weekends/travel decisions... I would prefer not to hear the popular "....... what you should do is...." None of this racing or budget makes sense- we do what we want/like/enjoy.... Thanks!!! Ken

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyamc View Post
    Hey everybody, I've been absent from the 'grassroots scene' a while- (vintage racing is getting out of my league)... Curious if anyone runs an AI or CMC legal car with WRL at all? Road racing and endurance are my passions; but the ability to run a local 'sprint weekend' with the same car I could run in the 8 hour or more events would make for easier weekends/travel decisions... I would prefer not to hear the popular "....... what you should do is...." None of this racing or budget makes sense- we do what we want/like/enjoy.... Thanks!!! Ken
    Ken, no doubt an AI/CMC car would be legal and fun in a WRL event, Sam runs a V6 swapped fox body in WRL ?GP4? And does very well.

My concern with a CMC legal car is the size of the fuel tank and how much fuel these cars go through. I used to run a WRL E30 and it was pretty clear that a large portion of winning was dependent on long fuel stops due to the mandatory 5mins when stopping for fuel. As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock. Sam probably has better insights being that he's overcome this challenge with his fox.

With all that said...WRL is a blast and I can't wait to get back out with that group later this year. A guy that used to rent a seat in our E30 has turned his BRZ streetcar into an endurance racer...it should be fuel efficient and reasonably quick.
    Daniel Records
    CMC # 34

Junior Member Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    Ken, no doubt an AI/CMC car would be legal and fun in a WRL event, Sam runs a V6 swapped fox body in WRL ?GP4? And does very well.

My concern with a CMC legal car is the size of the fuel tank and how much fuel these cars go through. I used to run a WRL E30 and it was pretty clear that a large portion of winning was dependent on long fuel stops due to the mandatory 5mins when stopping for fuel. As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock. Sam probably has better insights being that he's overcome this challenge with his fox.

With all that said...WRL is a blast and I can't wait to get back out with that group later this year. A guy that used to rent a seat in our E30 has turned his BRZ streetcar into an endurance racer...it should be fuel efficient and reasonably quick.
    Yes, all of the above sounds correct to me also. I've also daydreamed about building a TDI Jetta. I had a discussion with Joey ( HMFIC @ WRL) about diesel cars, and he said " bring it!" I know mileage wouldn't be great with a V8 anything, but the possibility of all that seat time, working lights, and a car at least 25 years old says it could be a weekend go to Cars and Coffee Endurance AI CMC Racer/Driver... Hook me up with Sam in pm if you don't mind? Thanks a ton! Ken

Senior Member Site AdminCarroll Shelby michaelmosty's Avatar
    I previously ran with a team that had a Fox body in Chump and we had great success. It had was it basically a CMC carb engine. It had a fuel cell, I think 16 gallons and we were running about 1 hour 40 min stints at ECR. It worked perfectly that we did 3 stops during the 7-hour race. We just had to be a little light on the throttle and not rev too high. I drove the entire stint in 4th gear unless I needed to pass someone. I think we were running around 2:13 lap times.
    Came in 2nd on Saturday because one driver ran out of gas entering pit road and got 1st on Sunday.
    -Michael Mosty
    CMC #11 Mosty Brothers' Racing
    Director - TX Region

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I previously ran with a team that had a Fox body in Chump and we had great success. It had was it basically a CMC carb engine. It had a fuel cell, I think 16 gallons and we were running about 1 hour 40 min stints at ECR. It worked perfectly that we did 3 stops during the 7-hour race. We just had to be a little light on the throttle and not rev too high. I drove the entire stint in 4th gear unless I needed to pass someone. I think we were running around 2:13 lap times.
    Came in 2nd on Saturday because one driver ran out of gas entering pit road and got 1st on Sunday.
    Good info, I wonder if the ticket to the 5.0 living forever is keeping it under 5k rpm. Maybe a stock cam with gt40p's will put out 260 and you have a cheap and reliable 5.0, power band will be great for low rpm shift points.

Engine Life at RPM
    4500 5542hrs
    5000 3700hrs
    5500 1127hrs
    6000 71hrs
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Quote Originally Posted by drecords View Post
    ... As far as I know WRL has a rule against putting a giant fuel cell in the car also...Iirc it's no greater than 10% over stock...
    dang, didn't see that the first time I skimmed the rules. I'd have to take a hit on the 22gal enduro cell I have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmosty View Post
    I had always wanted to try enduro in my hooptie once I got a decent stretch of reliability. I'm wondering if running a spare ECU tuned to run a little leaner (currently runs 12:1 in CMC trim, thinking closer to 12.8:1), less timing, and maybe a throttle stop and staying in 4th gear would be the way to go.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Supercharged111's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    I had always wanted to try enduro in my hooptie once I got a decent stretch of reliability. I'm wondering if running a spare ECU tuned to run a little leaner (currently runs 12:1 in CMC trim, thinking closer to 12.8:1), less timing, and maybe a throttle stop and staying in 4th gear would be the way to go.
    The throttle stop may prevent the engine from entering PE mode, so be mindful of how those 2 play into one another.
    RM CMC Director

Senior Member Carroll Shelby Fbody383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    staying in 4th gear would be the way to go.
    I hear 4th gear can be competitive at TWS.
    #39 CMC Camaro
    Orange is Fast!
    CMC-NT01 FTW!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    The throttle stop may prevent the engine from entering PE mode, so be mindful of how those 2 play into one another.
    Yeah it's always a combo of throttle and calculated load and other stuff that I never looked into. Would have to be figured out on the dyno.

Just a loose thought for later, for now I am focused solely on CMC.

Any word on if NASATX will start doing Friday enduros again?