Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cota

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Yeah this is a one time deal for me too. If this event is on the calendar for the same price next year I likely wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
    I really hope it's worth all the extra money. Certainly have to run it one time but maybe it's a one time deal for Jay and I. I know it's a nice place but over three times what we usually pay? I don't see how one race weekend at COTA could be better than one race at Hallet, one at TWS and one somewhere else.

JJ
    Yeah I feel ya, might be a one time deal for me too. I paid $850 for COTA a few years ago, this was for 3 days, Friday/Sat/Sun.
    NOLA is a nice place too and I think I paid $280 for the weekend last year.

That being said, this is the nicest track in the country and an absolute pleasure to drive. NASA is in a good position here, supply vs demand and I bet they will fill up every spot even at $1200 because of the hype.
    Hopefully once that dies down the costs will come down a bit but not significantly unless they drop the track rental price.

My math is fuzzy here but I figure group limit of 50 cars, 7 groups, 350 people.
    $420k

Figure 1/2 that many people for the TnT, another $100k.

Track rental was $50k/day last I heard so $150k for that, figure $50k for op expenses,
    $50k in instructor discounts.
    $250k net profit? Maybe we will see reg drop a bit in the future if these numbers are remotely correct.

Also keep in mind this will be the safest event you will likely ever be a part of, that is a huge consideration for me, it could make the difference in life or death, huge runoffs, safe walls if you hit them, etc.
    Hard to put a price on that kind of safety. The "damage" costs are initially off putting, but if you consider a few grand in damage vs a 100k hospital bill + pain and suffering, it's a damn deal.

In the meantime, I am going to call my guy in Columbia and have him ship me some bricks so I can make this happen
    Last edited by mach1; 02-17-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

Senior Member Carroll Shelby AllZWay's Avatar
    I saw the price and was surprised. It would definitely be fun to race and I probably would pay up for it once also, but an event 3x times as much as others seems out of line.

It's a great place. we've been there enough that the gee whiz has worn off. I think we'll wait and see what the format is going to be before comitting.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JMR81 View Post
    It's a great place. we've been there enough that the gee whiz has worn off. I think we'll wait and see what the format is going to be before comitting.
    After this one time it will have to equal the fun of three events for me or it's not worth it.

JJ

Apples and oranges, NOLA cannot Compare with COTA.
    Invite your friends and family, watch their response to having the run of the F1 paddock and getting close to the cars at COTA.

That being said, this is the nicest track in the country and an absolute pleasure to drive. NASA is in a good position here, supply vs demand and I bet they will fill up every spot even at $1200 because of the hype.

COTA is 500/day to get on track minimum in any other venue.

Track rental was $50k/day last I heard so $150k for that, figure $50k for op expenses,
    $250k net profit?

I don't know diddly shit about insurance, required track crew, concessions, etc....

Also keep in mind this will be the safest event you will likely ever be a part of, that is a huge consideration for me, it could make the difference in life or death, huge runoffs, safe walls if you hit them, etc.

Avoid hitting anything....... This track is a well engineered for safety, but, make no mistake, this is a big boy F1 track
    I am no expert here, I've been on the track twice. The cost is in line with a national event, If your car is up to snuff for sustained wide open high gear driving, pull the trigger. JMHO
    Last edited by dtanker65; 02-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65

Apples and oranges, NOLA cannot Compare with COTA.
    Invite your friends and family, watch their response to having the run of the F1 paddock and getting close to the cars at COTA.
    I agree, that's why I followed with the next sentence. (NOLA is nice, COTA is nicer)

COTA is 500/day to get on track minimum in any other venue.
    Some are less per day if you do 3 days but consider this.
    Chin for example is $500/day for 210 mins of track time per day.
    In this case we are looking at 80 mins for $600

$7.5/min vs $2.38/min

I am simply pointing out to everyone that says they will only do this once that the prices may drop in the future. NASA obviously has higher op expenses than Chin in this example, staff, dinner, etc.
    $250k net profit?

I don't know diddly shit about insurance, required track crew, concessions, etc....

Avoid hitting anything....... This track is a well engineered for safety, but, make no mistake, this is a big boy F1 track
    I am no expert here, I've been on the track twice. The cost is in line with a national event, If your car is up to snuff for sustained wide open high gear driving, pull the trigger. JMHO
    My point here was that the fact that this is such a safe place makes it worth the money, exactly, don't hit anything, but if you do, you will be glad you did it at COTA.
    Last edited by mach1; 02-19-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net

I enjoy the discussion Tyler. I guess my point of view is that I would like to compete at the national level eventually and having to travel to one of the coasts to be competitive on a pre-lawyer pro track, against the local guys that run there every month, is going to be a pretty tough proposition without a serious financial commitment.

If COTA is the success I expect it will be, I would like to start talking about a variation of Aaron's sentiment. Instead of East and West nationals, we would have East, West and Central semi-finals with a single championship race for the top semi finishers.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Suck fumes's Avatar
    that would make it a REAL national championship!
    “A man with no enemies is a man with no character.”
    ― Paul Newman

Quote Originally Posted by dtanker65 View Post
    I enjoy the discussion Tyler. I guess my point of view is that I would like to compete at the national level eventually and having to travel to one of the coasts to be competitive on a pre-lawyer pro track, against the local guys that run there every month, is going to be a pretty tough proposition without a serious financial commitment.

If COTA is the success I expect it will be, I would like to start talking about a variation of Aaron's sentiment. Instead of East and West nationals, we would have East, West and Central semi-finals with a single championship race for the top semi finishers.
    For sure, Nat's at COTA would be great.
    Tyler Gardner
    CMC #13 2015-2017
    SM #013 2018
    www.dfwmustangs.net