Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: TWS (April-2017) Time to Sign-Up!!

Senior Member Carroll Shelby ShadowBolt's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    I think the zinc is still good for rockers that don't have roller tips too. I believe the M1 is a group 3 or 3/4 base stock whereas the RP is a group 4 base stock. I know M1 runs on the thin side because I have researched that one. Their high mileage oil has a smidge more zinc in it, but not enough to be a racing oil. RP isn't a racing oil either, but it is supposed to be better than M1. I think when people think of a racing synthetic they think of a group 5 base stock oil. Those are what initially debuted as a synthetic oil and are the ones you have to open your wallet for the most.
    RP does make a line of racing oils.

Sorry for taking this thread so far off topic!

JJ

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    I used to use mobil1 15w50 because it had 1200ppm of zinc and you can get it at walmart but would change it every 3-4 days of track time; Leinart turned me on to running a better oil for longer which would cost the same but maybe give me more protection being a higher base stock with even more zinc.

Given that I expect my LS1 to have higher oil temps and more likely to scorch/break down oil than the LT1, I'll be trying a "better" oil this year. The LT1 would hit a peak for 275-280* and I'm assuming I will go higher at Hallet this year, but am working on oil cooler ducting to try stop that. However, LS1 has been producing a lot cleaner oil filters than all of my previous LT1s so I feel more comfortable running longer on a better oil on this setup.

I'm still conflicted from when I made this chart, as I'm not seeing where m1 15w50 "turns to water" compared to the others in basic tests/measures, but they don't account for how oil breaks down after running at high temps for too long.

Mobil1 Redline Amsoil Motul
    Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 18 19.6 18 18
    Viscosity, @ 40ºC, cSt (ASTM D445) 125 138 126.3 122.9
    Viscosity Index 160 162 158 164
    HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC 4.5 5.8 5.3
    Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -39 -45 -38 -39
    Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 232 238 238
    TBN 8 8.25

The more I researched about oil on the interwebs, the more I arrived to two conclusions: A. there's a ton of misinformation and anecdotal "evidence" out there and B. Just run oil in the correct weight and leverage used oil analysis kits to decide what is working for you.

I'm going to try Amsoil with 2 oil changes per season, but will send off a sample and adjust change intervals accordingly. I had a PC membership from a bunch of Toyota diff/atf flushes I did a while back, so I just stocked up on their Dominator 15w50 racing oil for the LS1 along with their diff fluid, to where it came out to be pretty competitive to store bought synthetic diff fluid and running mobil1 more frequent changes, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to try.
    Last edited by Pranav; 04-19-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Senior Member Carroll Shelby
    Blog Entries
    Make sure you are aware of your garage spot before unloading:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Wd1WcQ/pubhtml

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    I'm surrounded by Camaros!

Senior Member Grass-Passer
    Quote Originally Posted by Pranav View Post
    Make sure you are aware of your garage spot before unloading:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Wd1WcQ/pubhtml
    Jerry
    I hope you don't mind? but I'm going to move you down a few spots, since we are cooking brisket I need the corner spot!
    Thanks
    Storm Trooper

Kyri was going to DE the street car but it developed an issue with the clutch and the dealership wont have it ready in time. The race car has developed a peculiar case of silence probably due to all the wires not connected to anything.
    Anyway we are still coming and will figure out something to bring.

enough of ya'll told me to join this site this weekend that I did.

If any of ya'll have the pace car doing a burnout on video or photos, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know on here or on my phone (five 1 five, 9 nine one, two 1 3 seven)

Also, thanks for cooking and eating the brisket I brought on Saturday. Glad I can help feed ya'll.

Senior Member Grass-Passer Crumpacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootten View Post
    If any of ya'll have the pace car doing a burnout on video or photos, I'd appreciate if you'd let me know on here or on my phone
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS_W--537f4
    Sam Crumpacker
    CMC #54 - '94 Creamsicle

"Group D, Drama, to grid.."

I guess I deserved that one...

Thank you all for a great weekend! I hope you all had a great time! This group is the epitome of camaraderie and I love that! Next stop; COTA!!!
    Will Faules
    Regional Director - NASA Texas